13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 7:14 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade

MrDaveC

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after upgrading OS from Windows 8 to Windows 10.  Tried uninstall reinstall. Welcome screen comes up but unable to go any farther. Thoughts?

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
          MrDaveC Level 1

Thanks for your response John,  I had already run the compatibility troubleshooter and attempted to run APE 11 in compatibility mode but got the same result..  Welcome screen only and unable to do anything after that.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
            A.T. Romano Level 7

MrDaveC

I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit on each of two of my computers. Premiere Elements 11 had no problems with the upgrade to Windows 10 in either case. And, I would advise you against getting involved with program compatibility settings. My impression is that Premiere Elements successes and failures are the same before and after upgrade to WIndows 10 64 bit. This impression is based on hands on work with versions 2 through 13 on Windows 10 64 bit. Interestingly, I can install and run even Premiere Elements 2.0 on Windows 10 64 bit....no compatibility settings changes.

So, let us troubleshoot Premiere Elements 11 Windows 10 64 bit problems as we would on any other computer operating system that supports it.

1. What is the extent of your issue?

a. The Welcome Screen comes up, then what....the program crashes....you hit Video Editor/New Project, and the program crashes or you see an endless in process circle....or other.

b. If you can see a progress bar with sequential phases of the program feature loading going on, on what phase does the loading stop?

c. Other

Let us go through the usual route...

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

2. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? How many video card/graphics cards does your computer use. See Device Manager/Display Adapter/name(s) of card(s). Are you getting any Display Card errors?

3. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 11? And are you running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Are you running the program with an Internet connection active?

4. What other video editing programs do you have installed now on Windows 10 64 bit. Did they all, except Premiere Elements 11, seem to have survived the upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit?

5. Did you install Premiere Elements 11 to its default location on Local Disk C?

Please review and consider the above. We may try the uninstall reinstall again, but this time with a free ccleaner run through between the uninstall and reinstall.

CCleaner - Download

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
              MrDaveC Level 1

Thank you for your response ATR, Here is the info

1. What is the extent of your issue?

a. The Welcome Screen comes up, hit Video Editor/New Project or existing project and the program crashes

NOTE: After reinstall of APE 11 when I click on Organizer I was prompted by windows to install a feature "Direct Play" once I did that Organizer crashed coming up but now seems to function properly. (See event log below)  --- Video Editor still crashes when I click on new or existing project.  (no Events in the log)

Let us go through the usual route...

1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled?

• disabled firewall and antivirus same result

2. Is your video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? YES How many video card/graphics cards does your computer use 1. See Device Manager/Display Adapter/name(s) of card(s). Are you getting any Display Card errors?

• No Video Card Errors or issues

3. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 11? And are you running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Are you running the program with an Internet connection active?

• Quick time version 7.77.80.95 is installed?
              • running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges
              • running the program with an Internet connection active

4. What other video editing programs do you have installed now on Windows 10 64 bit. Did they all, except Premiere Elements 11, seem to have survived the upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit?

• No other video editing Software

5. Did you install Premiere Elements 11 to its default location on Local Disk C?

• Default Location

OTHER

Event Viewer Logs look clean with the following exception: First rime running organizer crashed but seems okay now. NO other events

Faulting application name: PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe, version: 11.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x503fdd1d

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.10240.16430, time stamp: 0x55c599e1

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00058d2e

Faulting process id: 0x1be8

Faulting application start time: 0x01d0f669be1134d5

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 11 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 818b2a79-142e-4446-975e-777b2ceba66f

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                A.T. Romano Level 7

MrDaveC

Thanks for the reply.

1. Download and install the Adobe Application Manager from the following link and then try to work with Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 10 64 bit.

https://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4773

Did it install and did it have any impact on the issue that you described?

Depending on the above result...

2. Go to

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 11

and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Folder find the specifically named file Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. You do not want the Adobe Premiere Elements 11.exe file.

Then right click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, and select and apply Run As Administrator.

Then double click the Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file, and determine if the program with open to its workspaces.

3. If that does not work, then we may consider

uninstall the usual Control Panel way

do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)  CCleaner - Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled

Then let us see if any of the above had any impact on the issue.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                  MrDaveC Level 1

installed the Adobe Application Manager no effect.

Ran Adobe Premiere Elements.exe the initialization  screen displays begins to process and then hangs on Loading ExporterQuickTimeHost.prm.  This may have been what as happening al along but never saw the screen display before.

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MrDaveC

Thanks for the reply with very important troubleshooting information.

The loading stopping at ExporterQuickTimeHost.prm has been reported before in these forums.

From what you wrote, you have the latest version (7.7.8) of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer with Premiere Elements.

Right now I would suggest uninstalling QuickTime 7, do a free ccleaner run through (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)  CCleaner - Download, and then reinstall QuickTime 7.7.8 with antivirus and firewalls disabled. Be sure to be running programs as administrator. If that does not work, you could try QuickTime 7.7.6 which is not the latest version but will work to meet the Premiere Elements QuickTime requirement nonetheless.

For QuickTime 7.7.8, please use  QuickTime - Download - Apple

For QuickTime 7.7.6, please use  QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Based on the details in your reply, we can decide what next if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                      MrDaveC Level 1

After many attempts still no luck...I did notice on one of the many installs at the end of the install a message displayed that I may want to install quicktime if I want to use .mov files.  I don't have quicktime pro do you think that may be an issue?

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MrDaveC

Thanks for the update.

You do not need QuickTIme Pro. Typically the latest version of the free QuickTime 7 meets the Premiere Elements QuickTime 7 System Requirement.

Right now the latest version of QuickTime 7 is version 7.7.8 but Apple has a problem with it on Windows 10 64 bit.

Consequently, please make sure to install QuickTime 7 version 7.7.6 which will meet the Premiere Elements requirement even though it is not actually the latest version of QuickTime 7.

Please use specifically QuickTime 7.7.6 from the following link

QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Major thought - be running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges.

Please give this another try and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                          MrDaveC Level 1

1. uninstalled quick time

2. used your link to install QuickTime the  recommended and then later the full install (with legacy features)

3. in every case since this adventure began I am running with an Admin account

Although a realize it doesn't really add much but below is the App Log. also there were some DCOM errors in the system log at approximately the same time but not sure if it is relevant.

App Log: 

The program Adobe Premiere Elements.exe version 11.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.

Process ID: 25e0

Start Time: 01d0fc976c200ef1

Termination Time: 33

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 11\Adobe Premiere Elements.exe

Report Id: 848c0e6b-688b-11e5-beed-08edb9d97c9a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

MrDaveC

Thank you for the update and following up on the troubleshooting routes.

Please remind me if you have looked at the following. I am not seeing it mentioned in the posts above.

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements 11

and, in the Premiere Elements 11 Folder, can you find the file specifically named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe?

If you find Adobe Premiere Elements.exe, right click it, and select and apply Run As Administrator.

Then double click that Adobe Premiere Elements.exe file to determine if it opens to the Premiere Elements workspaces.

Let us see if that has any impact at all on the situation.

ATR

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                              MrDaveC Level 1

It appears that the first response (from John T Smith) was correct, it is not compatible with Windows 10 according to Adobe. I'm Not sure how you got it to work on your PC but I appreciate your efforts. Now that I have confirmed a purchase will be required I can consider other products as well...

pre11.png

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 11 not working after Windows 10 Upgrade
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

MrDaveC

I would dispute Adobe and anyone else who gives you the generalization that Premiere Elements 11 is not compatible with Windows 10 64 bit.

I have Premiere Elements 11 installed on Windows 10 Home 64 bit (used to be Windows 8.1 64 bit) and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (used to be Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit). Both computers are laptops. Both are working without problem.

Again, my impression with Premiere Elements versions is that Premiere Elements successes and failures are the same before and after upgrade to Windows 10 64 bit. Your answer is in your specific computer environment be it Windows 10 or 7 or 8.1 64 bit and Premiere Elements 11.

I would challenge your sources for "11 is not compatible" with the question "Have you actually tried it?" Or are these people reading a script?

Nonetheless, there comes a time when searching for the specific and correct answers can be time consuming and non productive for your video editing needs.

I understand that.

Best wishes for whatever your decisions are with regard to your video editor. Please consider a tryout of the product (whatever it is) before purchase.

Please update us on your progress as your schedule permits. We want you to succeed.

ATR