4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 6:26 AM by john beardsworth

LR and the new Apple iPad Pro

martin4k

Have any of you heard anything in the pipeline to make IPP work with LR and tethered shooting?

I was reading on Apple's website last night about the availability of the new iPad Pro (IPP) around November and my first thoughts were WOW what a great device to cable tether for either studio or on location shoots. But there is very sparse info about connectivity ports on this new device and non about LR support. Most of us professional photographers still use USB cable tethering because most of us still use a little older cameras that do not have WIFI connectivity and even if we did, using it to shoot RAW just doesn't work very well or fast enough.

What I see as the best senario is capturing RAW images on the IPP into LR so the client can see these beautiful images, then once the shoot is over, transfer the images over to a studio work station for editing.

Another option would be, during the shoot if the client was at another location, you could send them smaller images over WIFI, email or upload to an online viewing area so they could have input during the shoot.

Now I do all this now with a laptop but sure would be sweet with a higher resolution, thinner, lighter device like the IPP.

• 1. Re: LR and the new Apple iPad Pro
          John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have any of you heard anything in the pipeline to make IPP work with LR and tethered shooting?

Can't do this via a USB port in the IPP because there isn't one.

The IPP is an iPad with a supersized screen. No additional ports. (corrected below)

The only way I know of shooting tethered with an IPP is either via a Camranger via Wifi to Lightroom on a laptop

CamRanger | Wireless DSLR Remote Control | iPad Mac Android PC

or Capture Pilot on the IPP  via Wifi to Capture One on a laptop

Capture Pilot on the App Store

Software for the IPP can only be downloaded via the Apple App Store (same for iPad Air and iPhone).

Lightroom Mobile can be used on the IPP (running iOS9) but not the desktop version of Lightroom which requires the desktop OS X operating system.

• 2. Re: LR and the new Apple iPad Pro
            martin4k Level 1

Well, that's not totally true. The IPP has a new connector called "Lighting Connector" and "In the Box" it says included is a Lightning to USB Cable.

Read below:

iPad Pro - Apple

• 3. Re: LR and the new Apple iPad Pro
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, fair point.

My understanding is that that is currently a bi-directional charging (and syncing) port for the IPP and Apple Pencil.

Might be an option for tethered shooting down the track? I'll watch this with interest since my dreams for tethered shooting are similar to yours.

• 4. Re: LR and the new Apple iPad Pro
                john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to look more closely at Lightroom Mobile and its sibling Lightroom Web.

The Lightroom Desktop dialog that starts a tethering session now lets you choose an existing collection. If this collection is one that has been synced with LrM, new photos will then be synced automatically up to Adobe's servers. Someone can then use an iPad to review new pictures (logging into LrMobile using your account) and someone else may simultaneously view the collection in a web browser using Lightroom Web (with or without an Adobe account).

So you need a real computer, and it's not exactly the configuration you described, but I've run a studio session with an iPad locally and another client who was unable to attend in person but could choose images via her browser.

John