11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 8:09 AM by A.T. Romano

Return to Main Menu not working on DVD

donm26210672

I have Premiere Elements 13. I have created a DVD with 3 separate movies. I have put a stop marker at the end of each, except the last one, and when I try the Preview Disc it works fine. At the end of each movie it returns to the Main Menu but when I burn a disc and play it the stop marker doesn't work as it doesn't return to the Main Menu at the end o each movie.

• 1. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you playing the disc on a DVD player, on your TV, or are you playing it on your computer? If on your computer, what software are you playing the disc with?

• 2. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
            donm26210672 Level 1

I have tried it on my PC and DVD player and it's the same with both. I use PowerDVD 10 to play the DVD on my PC.

• 3. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD

There is no reason this shouldn't work, except maybe a faulty DVD burn.

I'd recommend you break down your DVD burn to a couple of steps.

1) Select the option to "burn" your DVD files to your hard drive rather than directly to a disc. This will give you the opportunity to test play the VIDEO_TS folder using something like the excellent free VLC Media Player to ensure that navigation works. If it does:

2) Use a program like ImgBurn to burn the VIDEO_TS folder to a disc. ImgBurn (also free and, as I say in my books, an indispensable utility) includes a feature for verifying your disc burn which almost guarantees the integrity of your files.

• 4. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

A key question and needed answer seems to be - what are you doing with regard to DVD disc for

1. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc to get DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc

2. Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD disc to get AVCHD on DVD disc

What have you actually done in the playback of your burn to disc DVD

1. DVD Player....is this a regular DVD player....does your Premiere Elements burn to DVD actually playback on this player, but just not with stop marker functioning?

2. PC....PowerDVD 10....does your Premiere Elements burn to DVD actually playback on this player, but just not with stop marker functioning?

If this does turn out to be a burn to DVD disc AVCHD on DVD disc, then be advised that stop markers for Premiere Elements burn to disc AVCHD or Blu-ray have never functioned in the playback of the disc.

Consequently, please clarify your details so that we can rule out these important troubleshooting considerations.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                  donm26210672 Level 1

I have burned a disc using the DVD option and it worked fine, returning to the menu after each movie. I didn't realise that this didn't work with AVCHD or Blu-ray. I don't remember seeing that in the instructions.

Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                    donm26210672 Level 1

I have burned a disc using the DVD option and it worked fine, returning to the menu after each movie. I didn't realise that this din't work with AVCHD or Blu-ray. I don't remember seeing that in the instructions.

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the reply.

The details of your troubleshooting information pointed to the stop marker issue with regard to DVD-VIDEO versus AVCHD and Blu-ray.

That information can be found in the following Adobe document

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Sharing to DVD or Blu-ray Disc

Note:

Adobe Premiere Elements supports stop markers in DVD only. If your project includes menu stop markers, they are available only if you burn the project on a DVD. The stop markers aren’t available if you burn the project on a blu-ray disc or AVCHD.

The Note neglects to mention that the "AVCHD" is AVCHD on DVD disc.

If stop marker function in your disc product is a must, have you considered exporting your Premiere Elements Timeline to file and then taking that file into a 3rd party software for application of menu with functional stop markers and burn to disc? More information as needed. Some have recommended DVD Architect for this purpose. I have never used that program.

ATR

• 8. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD

For what it's worth, it says right on the Menu Marker option screen that stop markers work with DVDs only.

Glad you got it sorted out!

• 9. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Add On to my post numbered 7....

If you look at the Premiere Elements Menu Marker dialog and the description there for Stop Marker, you will find

"Stop Marker (For DVD only) -Returns to the Main Menu"

I do not see that as a tip off of the stop marker situation with AVCHD DVD.

DVD there could be the slang/shorthand for DVD-VIDEO on DVD

or

More likely interpreted as DVD disc which is needed for the burn to AVCHD on DVD disc as well as the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

And, you were trying for the AVCHD on DVD disc.

DVD.JPG

Although the Adobe document information cited previously and re-posted below uses the designation DVD, it does go on to give the defining details although it omits the "DVD" after AVCHD.

Note:

Adobe Premiere Elements supports stop markers in DVD only. If your project includes menu stop markers, they are available only if you burn the project on a DVD. The stop markers aren’t available if you burn the project on a blu-ray disc or AVCHD.

ATR

• 10. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                            donm26210672 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I may try a 3rd party software as you have suggested.

• 11. Re: Return to Main Menu not working on DVD
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

donm

Thanks for the reply.

I always wanted to look at what these 3rd party software could do with regard AVCHD and Blu-ray project menus and stop markers, but never got around to doing that.

I was focusing at Encore (but that may come only with Premiere Pro...don't think that is a standalone). Many promote the DVD Architect software.

Never got a chance to give that a work out for this purpose.

Best wishes

ATR