6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 5:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing

steveb736448

I have premier elements 12 for video editing and it is crashing constantly, to the point that i now cannot do anything, not even burn some of the data to disc to try and free up space (if that is what is needed). i have tried to contact adobe but their helpline info just sends you round in circles with no actual links to chatline. i am running windows 7 with plenty of space. 1st time i have used a forum so does anyone have any ideas please? thanks.

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, getting to the right forum helps ... for Premiere Elements (a very different program than Pro) ...

Premiere Elements

Neil

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing
            A.T. Romano Level 7

steveb

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit).

1. Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

2. Does the problem exist with and without antivirus and firewalls disabled?

3. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime 7 installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 12/12.1, and are you running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

4. Is your video card/graphic card up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? Please check Device Manager/Display Adapters and name of card to determine if computer is using 1 or 2 cards.

Now with the above out of the way...

1. What is the project preset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) set to match the properties of the import?

See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio.

2. What are the properties of what you are importing to the Timeline of the project....here I am looking for video compression, audio compression (stereo or 5.1 channel sound), frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. Brand/model/settings of camera that recorded the video would help. If still are involved, then pixel dimensions and how many.

3. How far into the project do you get before the project is in trouble? What is the duration of the Timeline content and the complexity of the Timeline structure at that point?

4. What is the following all about

not even burn some of the data to disc to try and free up space (if that is what is needed)

Premiere Elements does not have feature to burn to data disc...are you referring here to Publish+Share/Disc/DVD or AVCHD or Blu-ray or are you referring to taking computer files to disc for storage purposes (data disc) using the burn software that came with your Blu-ray or DVD burner?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply. Any questions about the questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing
              steveb736448 Level 1

Many thanks for your extensive answer - much appreciated. I will put it all into action and see whether I get any further.

Thanks,

Steve

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing
                A.T. Romano Level 7

steveb

Thanks for your reply and considering the troubleshooting suggestions.

Major thought - do not give up.

Let us rule in or out the factors that I mentioned in post numbered 2 of your thread. Then we will see where the results and details point us to

in seeking the solution to the problem. Try to gather up as much information as possible for source media, project settings, and the rest of the project(s) workflows.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing
                  steveb736448 Level 1

Thanks again ATR.

On your thread 2;

1. I confirmed it was the latest update.

2. I temp disabled anti-virus.

3. I do not think I have quick time installed. I am the only user - so presume usual privileges.

4. I am having problems downloading updates for NVIDIA NVS 3100M card but am contacting HP to assist. By the way I have Windows 7, 32 bit OS.

On your other questions;

1. I will check but I have not changed any of these from the time I bought the program. Currently I only have 2 'films' which I have uploaded to edit.

2. I used a Panasonic video for the 1st and Gopro for the 2nd set of film data.

3. I don't get far before Elements crashes and this seems to have got shorter every time I use it (it is worth noting that I did get a warning message in Elements about operating at capacity and to proceed with caution....?). The timeline structure is basic and simple as I have done little more than upload the various film segments and linked together with basic titles.

4. Yes it was the publish and share - burn to DVD. Interestingly I got further today (as a result of the above?) but I got a 'transcoding error' when I tried to burn to DVD.

I will look into more detail on the settings once I have downloaded the main driver updates.

Thanks,

Steve

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 12 Keeps Crashing
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve

Very important that we do the troubleshooting under the best possible conditions possible.

So, please look at installation of the latest version of QuickTime on your computer with Premiere Elements, and assure that the programs are

being run from a User Account with Administrative Privileges even if you are the only one who ever uses the computer. The programs need those rights to access certain files in the computer.

Please use the following link for the QuickTime 7 install

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

This link is for 32 or 64 bit computer. QuickTime will run as a 32 bit application even in the 64 bit computer. That is fine.

How many video cards/graphics cards does you computer use? One or two? See Device Manager/Display Adapters/and the name of the card or cards. Card driver version is important, but the 2 cards use can cause problems for Premiere Elements. See if HP can help you with the card situation.

But, the biggest issue may involve you working with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on a Windows 7 32 bit computer. Premiere Elements 12/12.1 under that condition is a 32 bit application with all the limitations of the 32 bit system, namely, maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB of which typically around 3 GB or less of that are available. This can have serious computer resources considerations in getting the larger project done successfully using source AVCHD files in HD projects. Are you seeing the frequency of these crashes lessening with the smaller projects?

After we get QuickTime 7 and administrative privileges taken care of and if the problem still persists, then we will be expanding the Timeline to look for leftover and irregularities in the Timeline content and structure. And, if necessary, we will circle back to computer resources considerations, installed and available RAM and free hard drive space.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR