4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 3:01 PM by Bob Somrak

XMP Sidecar file does not transfer edit history

andrewl20004132

I have Lightroom 5.7 running on a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 8.

While I was away I took a load of photos (raw cr2 files) and processed/edited them all on the laptop. I have the laptop set to store all my edits in xmp files.

Now I'm home I've copied my photos and their xmp files onto my desktop PC.

When I import these photos into the lightroom catalogue on my desktop pc, it doesn't seem to take any notice of the xmp files. Certainly none of the editing operations I performed on the laptop are listed in the History pane on the desktop pc.

What's gone wrong? I thought that was the whole point of using xmp files?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• 1. Re: Sidecar xmp file ignored on import
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi andrewl20004132,

If you store your edits on xmp and reimport the images in Lightroom, then Lightroom will be able to read the edits but it would not be able to list the changes done in the History Panel.

Each and every proper step is not recorded in the xmp file, only Lightroom Catalog keeps track of the history steps.

You can either copy the complete catalog from your laptop and paste it onto your desktop

Or, select the images in your Lightroom Catalog on your laptop and go to File> Export as Catalog

then, move that exported catalog onto your desktop and relocate the missing images with the new location on your desktop.

You can also refer this article : http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-complete-picture-with-julieanne-kost/how-to-migrate-lr-to-an other-computer/

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Sidecar xmp file ignored on import
            andrewl20004132 Level 1

Thank you for your email. I can't understand why all the steps are not listed in the history. Is this something that will be addressed in future updates? What is the point of xmp files otherwise?

The problem now is that I've "removed" the pictures from the catalogue on the laptop. So I can't export as catalogue like you suggest (even when I re-import them on the laptop, the history steps are not listed). Have I lost the details of my edits for ever?

• 3. Re: Sidecar xmp file ignored on import
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

It is the property of xmp file that it stored the edits and metadata but does not the keep a track of proper history steps performed.

If you removed the images from your catalog on laptop, then I'm afraid there is no way to recover the history steps until you had a backup of your Lightroom Catalog on Laptop which you can get hold of.

• 4. Re: Sidecar xmp file ignored on import
                Bob Somrak Level 5

andrewl20004132 wrote:

I can't understand why all the steps are not listed in the history. Is this something that will be addressed in future updates? What is the point of xmp files otherwise?

This is as designed and I doubt it will be changed.   The xmp data only records the final settings of the sliders, etc for the photo.  For instance, if you have a +5 final contrast it is unimportant to the final photo that you moved the contrast slider a dozen times to get to that point.  If you want to keep your history,  you can use export catalog from the laptop and import catalog to the desktop to do that so why would Adobe need to duplicate this in the xmp.

1 person found this helpful