11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2015 4:58 PM by Bill Gehrke

Custom builds - who built yours?

2drumstix Level 1

Lots of build threads, and I'm still reading them over before I pull the trigger. But like many others I'm looking to build a new editing machine for Premiere CC2015 and Lightroom 5.7. My video projects might consist of anywhere from 3-5 AVCHD tracks, and/or 1-2 Nikon D810 tracks MOV, and/or 1-2 GoPro Hero 4 tracks MP4. Usually several audio tracks from either shotguns, lapels, and/or WAV recorders. With varying amounts, depending on project, of Magic Bullet suite & Pixlan effects. Mostly render for DVD, or web(h.264), sometimes Blu-ray, when I do render I usually deinterlace.

Budget about $4200. At the moment looking at these components:

i7 5960x

GTX980 4g

ASUS X99 Deluxe

1000watt Corsair 1000i

512g SSD Samsung Pro - OS

512g SSD Samsung Pro - Cache

256g SSD Samsung Pro - Media (deleted after project completion)

Win 8.1 Pro

Case - not decided, suggestions?

Liquid or Fan Cooled - not decided, suggestions?

But I'm curious about the online custom builders, and so to ask - who built your PC?

1) You built it.

2) Puget Systems

3) Falcon Northwest

4) Origin

5) Digital Storm

6) ADK

7) AVA Direct

8) Ironside - (my front runner so far)

9) Maingear

10) Xotic

11) Xidax

12) iBuyPower - (I probably wouldn't buy from them)

13) CyberPower - (I probably wouldn't buy from them)

14) Some other custom builder

• 1. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Two from ADK: one editing machine and the other my everyday machine used as a backup video computer.

• 2. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
            cc_merchant Level 4

256 GB for OS is more than enough, 256 GB for media and projects may be limited. Better to exchange them.

Fan cooling. Liquid cooling performs no better than air cooling, is noisier and more expensive, carries the chance of leaking, is less convenient to install and to maintain.

Case. Look at Fractal Design, Lian Li or CaseLabs, but only at big towers.

1. Several systems, both single and dual CPU.

• 3. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
              JEShort01 Level 4

Personally, I always do #1. I like to tinker and tweak though. I prefer to build single-core systems from scratch and I do dual-Xeon builds by starting with a Dell workstation and then doing lots of modifications with parts that do not void the warranty, but that also cannot be ordered from Dell (Areca controllers, 10+ drives, and GTX series video cards).

The only builder that I would consider or recommend for a Premiere CC system is #6, ADK. Eric there is a super-tech on both the hardware and software fronts. He knows a lot about non-Adobe solutions as well (BlackMagic, Resolve, RED, audio s/w and h/w, backups, etc.).

Building a system includes:

- selecting a price point and build list - you are doing very well in that regard so far! (and I agree with cc_merchant's suggested tweaks to your list)

- putting the hardware together

- installing Adobe and tuning/tweaking lots of settings all over Windows and hardware bios settings to get the best out of the system

And since "putting the hardware together" is trivial when compared with "...settings to get the best out of the system", I would never pay the extra to a system builder unless that system builder knew more that I did about everything Adobe.

Bottom line in my opinion is to either build it yourself (save money) or go with a builder that can provide excellent support for the hardware, the software, and of course the Operating System, backup/restores, etc.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                jasonvp Level 3

cc_merchant wrote:

Fan cooling. Liquid cooling performs no better than air cooling, is noisier and more expensive, carries the chance of leaking, is less convenient to install and to maintain.

Spoken like someone who has absolutely no idea how to A)push a system, and B)properly install liquid cooling.

• 5. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                  cc_merchant Level 4

Have you read:

Corsair Hydro coolers do not give better cooling performance than air coolers from Cooler Master or Noctua, nor do they run quieter. They are only more expensive. Don't forget that air coolers in push-pull configuration have two fans, that are replaced by two fans on the radiator when using a Corsair Hydro. Unfortunately, the Corsair fans are pretty noisy, thereby defeating the intention of water cooling to make things more silent. Effectively, one replaces two fans with an average noise level of 25 dB with two radiator fans with 35 dB. If the cooling performance was better, that extra noise might be overlooked, but that is not the case. Up to around 4.8 GHz overclock, the performance difference between air coolers and Corsair Hydro is negligent. So, if you opt for Corsair Hydro coolers, you don't get better cooling, you do get more noise, more power consumption (because of the waterpump) and you spend a lot more.

A watercooled system lacks cooling where it matters most for overclockers, in the VRM area on the motherboard. This may still require fans on that area for adequate cooling

from Tweakers Page - What kind of PC to use?

• 6. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                    jasonvp Level 3

cc_merchant wrote:

Have you read:

Read?  Sure.  But just because you read it on the Internet doesn't make it true.  There are lots of things on that Tweaker's page that are... wrong.

Liquid cooling a rig doesn't mean you pull all the fans out of the case.  In fact, the case fans stay in place.  The GPU and CPU fans are removed.  They're potentially the noisiest of the bunch, and the ones that matter the most.

It's clear you don't have enough experience in this matter, so I'd recommend: stop arguing with me?  I actually have lots of experience with it.  Your expertise is based on reading things on the 'net.  Get some first hand experience instead.

• 7. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                      cc_merchant Level 4

Unfortunately that extensive experience does not show in your PPBM results.

• 8. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                        2drumstix Level 1

Thanks for the input Peru Bob, cc_merchant & JEShort01.

One the build your own to save money, so far I haven't filled one shopping cart that shows such a significant savings. Being that it if I did build it - it would be my first built-from-scratch PC, and I'm not sure that $500 - $600 of savings would equal my time to building it, researching how to build it, and the potential headaches of building a DIY built PC.

One the liquid vs air cooling - I'd rather have heard who built your system and any feedback on my original post. But, I've had a liquid cooled Alienware since 2009, and never had any problems with leaking, actually I never ever heard of liquid cooled systems leaking, I didn't even know that was a possibility. If I was to guess, I'd have to say that any leaking is a result of a lessor quality liquid system or a not so great job install job.  

• 9. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                          jasonvp Level 3

2drumstix wrote:

One the liquid vs air cooling - I'd rather have heard who built your system and any feedback on my original post. But, I've had a liquid cooled Alienware since 2009, and never had any problems with leaking, actually I never ever heard of liquid cooled systems leaking, I didn't even know that was a possibility. If I was to guess, I'd have to say that any leaking is a result of a lessor quality liquid system or a not so great job install job. 

I've experienced both: leaking and non-leaking.  The leaking was due to bad-quality parts, as you mention in your last sentence.  I had a radiator break an internal connection between itself and the attached reservoir; this was a Koolance system and it was ages ago.  They've improved all of that since and fortunately nothing leaked into the machine and hurt it.  Second was a bad GPU bridge that I bought online, which turned out to be a bad buy.  It leaked teeny amounts of liquid onto the GPU below it; fortunately the block on the GPU was warm enough that the liquid evaporated immediately.

You learn to pick better hardware through mistakes, and fortunately (unlike the nay-sayers), the mistakes don't usually cost you your system.  The liquid in question is insanely low-conductive.  It's not going to hurt anything in small quantities.

Once you get it right, the thermal capacity of the system far outdoes anything air can handle.

• 10. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                            RjL190365 Level 4

What cc_merchant mentioned about noisier fans and pumps refers to most of the self-contained liquid coolers, not the expensive, huge, elaborate water coolers. The stock fans that come with such coolers are substantially louder than the best case, CPU and GPU fans. Furthermore, the cooling applied directly to the motherboard VRMs comes entirely from the CPU air cooler! This means very little, if any, of the airflow from the case fans reach anywhere near the VRMs even in good cases - and then, the VRMs are usually obstructed by other components in the system, such as the CPU's heatsink. This is because the nearest case fan in typical "good" systems is still too far away from the VRMs to deliver meaningful cooling performance.

That has been my own experience.

By the way, I always assemble ("build") my own systems.

• 11. Re: Custom builds - who built yours?
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you look at the current PPBM test results (you do have to log in) you will see some fairly great results and I am using a $25 Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO but I did put two better fans on the cooler.