3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 7:54 PM by Chetna Srivastava

My LR catalogs are gone.

Mario Chicago

I have been working with Lightroom's version 5.7 64-bit on a PC running Windows 7.

I've never had any serious issues with LR and it is my primary editing work horse. About a week or so ago, I woke up to find all my catalogs from the past 4-5 years gone. I had worked on a project the night before & was going to finish up the following morning. Nothing had been out of the ordinary. I did a system restore thinking that an overnight update changed something but the catalogs are still gone. It's as if they simply vanished into thin air which makes absolutely no sense to me.

I decided to install a trial version of LR 6 in the hopes that it would perhaps update itself, catalogs and such, which in turn would bring my missing catalogs back, but no such thing happened.

This is pretty frustrating and I'm not sure I know how to fix this.

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, would you mind sharing how you fixed it? I appreciate any insight that any of you may have on this specific issue. Thank you in advance for your time.

• 1. Re: My LR catalogs are gone.
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Mario,

Did you try to do a search for .lrcat files on your machine and check if you find the one you were looking for?

In Lightroom 5, you can go under File menu> Open Recent> to get a list of the recent catalogs that you worked upon and check if it lists the required one.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: My LR catalogs are gone.
            Mario Chicago Level 1

Thank you for the reply Chetna.

Yes, I did try that but unfortunately, did not get the results I expected. There's nothing else missing or lost in my system. Would an overnight update wipe away files by accident? That makes no sense.

I keep getting prompts to upgrade to LR 6 CC which I don't really need, since what was upgraded is not that important to my current workflow and I don't want to get into a monthly expense on something I'd rather just buy upfront. *sigh*

Thank you again for the feedback Chetna. I appreciate it.

-Mario

• 3. Re: My LR catalogs are gone.
              Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

An overnight update cannot cause the catalogs to go missing or deleted.

Even upgrading also would not help in this case if you do not have your catalogs which were being worked upon.

Did you backup your catalogs on an external drive or anywhere else apart from your local hard drive from where they can be possibly recovered if possible?