8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2015 7:14 PM by whsprague

What's new in Premiere Elements version 14!

Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 14 of Adobe Premiere Elements, as well as Photoshop Elements, is now available!

Video making software | Adobe Premiere Elements 14

For more information on the newest features, see our FAQ at:

What's new in Premiere Elements 14?   

• 1. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you know if Firewire capture was put back in this version?

• 2. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!
            A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

No firewire - DV or HDV Capture firewire. Please see Premiere Elements 14 Add Media choices...No DV or HDV Camcorder.

Firewire.JPG

ATR

• 3. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!

I'm afraid tape-based capture is gone for good, John. But FWIW, in my books I show you alternative ways to get editable miniDV and HDV into your computer.

• 4. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have an AVDC110 and have used a 3rd party program that works well, was just curious... I guess Adobe has decided that nobody is using a tape camera these days

• 5. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!

Yep. But even a computer with a FireWire jack is getting pretty hard to find!

Though, if you can find one, WinDV for Windows and iMovie or Lifeflix for Mac will capture your video in a format that Premiere Elements can edit. 

• 6. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!
                    whsprague Level 4

Going to the Adobe page for "Features" surprises me.  (Video creation software | Adobe Premiere Elements 14 - Features)

First, at the very top is "New, Go beyond HD With 4K".  That was last year's news and all the under $100 competition has been doing that for awhile.  Then, under the " * " footnote it lists only 6 cameras that are supported!  There are a lot of cameras doing 4K now.  People with new cameras buy new software versions.  Adobe is not going to get very many of them this way.

Second, I can't find any mention of H.265.  In fact, I can't find a version 14 specs page so far!  It may only be Samsung leading the way with two cameras that need it, but more will follow.  CyberLink PowerDirector includes H.265 support. 

I'm a Premier Elements fan for sure and have used it since version 9, but this seems to be a pretty weak release!  I'm in the hunt for a second 4K camera after success with a Panasonic LX100.  It will probably be a Panasonic.  According to the footnotes I would have to buy a GH4 which has been out so long it is being heavily discounted!   My probable choices are the G7 or GX8, which are not listed!   If not those, and I crank up the budget, it may be the widely reviewed Sony a7R II with some amazing 5 axis stabilization.  Of course Olympus has one with amazing 5 axis stabilization too, but none of them are listed.  Samsung with the NX1 and NX500 won't be supported either. 

Why would Adobe want to be so far behind in 4K support?

Bill

• 7. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!

I don't think Adobe has completely updated their specs page yet, Bill.

There is no output support yet for H.265. But version 14 should support a much wider range of 4K video and video from sportcams. It's also, in my opinion, much peppier and more responsive that version 13.

But, as with any software, the upgrade is never worth it unless the new features are actually of value to you.

• 8. Re: Announcing Premiere Elements version 14!
                        whsprague Level 4

Steve Grisetti wrote:

There is no output support yet for H.265. But version 14 should support a much wider range of 4K video and video from sportcams. It's also, in my opinion, much peppier and more responsive that version 13.

Steve,

Version 13 supported a wide range of 4K.  It has project presets that work fine and XAVC-S outputs.  What is weird is that Adobe marketing seemed want it kept as asecret last year and now wants to brag about it this year. 

I use a i7 computer with a SSD so peppy has not been a problem.  But faster would always be better.

For H.265, buyers of the cameras that use it seem thrilled with CyberLink PowerDirector.  Maybe Adobe is comfortable letting Cyberlink, Corel and Sony lead the market in the under $100 group and is content to follow. 

Don't misunderstand, I like and will continue to use Premier Elements.  It is very good for what I do, including 4K processing since last Christmas when I got the 4K Panasonic LX100.  What I don't understand is their marketing decisions.

Bill