Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Sign multiple pages at once

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Hi,

I'm trying to sign a pdf on multiple pages at once. All signatures have to be placed at the exact same place on every page.

Right now I have to place my signature on every page, with saving in between. With document larger then 5 pages, this takes too much time.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I'm using version 10.1.3 from Adobe Acrobat X.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

This is a fundamentally wrong this to do. Digital signatures sign the WHOLE DOCUMENT, always, every time. And they have a huge overhead. Trying to sign the document many times will leave you with something that may not work.

This often arises when trying to carry paper-based signature workflows into digital signatures, not realising that you are signing off on the whole thing, by definition (and by law in some places).

For heritage and transition reasons it may be necessary to leave a mark on each

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

A small point: it is better to apply the stamps, then sign once, since signing then stamping will invalidate the signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

This would be possible by creating a new action however even in this case you would have to scroll down to each page to and manually place signature.But this would not require saving each time you sign a single page.

You could also go through the following document once.This might help.

Signature Applied to Multiple Pages (Sign and Send PDFs)

Regards

Sukrit Dhingra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an odd answer.

given the fact that the PDF specification allows a single digital signature field with multiple widgets or annotations.

and given the fact that there are solutions out there that provide the capability of signing multiple pages with a single digital signature object which let the user to benefit from all worlds - from a visual perspective, it looks as if you have a signature on every page, but practically there was only one signing operation, there need to be only one verification task, and the file size didn't grow dramatically.

it is true that a digital signature covers the entire document, but as someone who sells digital signature solutions for years, I can tell you that it is easier to provide the customer with what he asks for, rather than convince him he is wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, this was possible up to Acrobat Pro 5. Signature fields could be duplicated on multiple pages just like other kinds of fields. Signing any of the fields would sign them all. I don't know if there actually multiple digital signatures in the document, or if the signature just appeared in multiple places.

In any event, this was a very useful feature when signatures were required on every page, and I wish that Adobe would put it back.

I understand that a digital signature applies to the entire file, but once a document is printed on paper that can't be seen, and only the appearance of a physical signature provides evidence that each page is signed.

Applying one digital signature and then using stamps to give the appearance of signatures on additional pages is certainly a workable workaround, but it's also less convenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 27, 2015 Sep 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a fundamentally wrong this to do. Digital signatures sign the WHOLE DOCUMENT, always, every time. And they have a huge overhead. Trying to sign the document many times will leave you with something that may not work.

This often arises when trying to carry paper-based signature workflows into digital signatures, not realising that you are signing off on the whole thing, by definition (and by law in some places).

For heritage and transition reasons it may be necessary to leave a mark on each page. You can do this with a stamp or similar, and only then do a real signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is fundamentally wrong to say that "This is a fundamentally wrong this to do." when somebody simply wants to put his/her initials on everypage. You cannot limit and state wrong when someone wants to do something with their document. You are supposed to find solutions and create limitations. Sincerely, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you comfirm a page in a printed out hardcopy of a document hasn't been switched with a modified page if not all pages have the certified signature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is EXACTLY why I say it's fundamentally wrong. You (or your users) are looking at the pages to see if they were tampered with. No, really, no! I could take out that signature and add it to a faked page. I'd be surprised if it took as long as a minute! You are wide open to fraud. The way to check digital signatures is to use the Signatures Panel, and make sure the document is still signed, that it's the right signature, and the signature is validated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I could take out that signature and add it to a faked page."  That's the point, you can't do that with a hand written signature, or it will be much harder, and more obvious.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" you can't do that with a hand written signature, or it will be much harder, and more obvious.  "

No, it won't be harder. No "signature on paper" is worth anything at all (from the point of view of fraud protection) in today's world. This is why digital signatures were invented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No "signature on paper" is worth anything at all (from the point of view of fraud protection) in today's world."  Well, it's worth quite a bit in terms of Good Documentation Pratice in pharmaceutical industry (amongst others), and that's the gold standard you're competing against. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see why it would be so hard for Adobe to be able to apply the signature image, possibly with anti-copy features, with a time and date stamp, to each page before locking the document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no such thing as an "anti copy feature" nor can there be. That's just imaginary words. And they don't need to, because digital signatures give all the info that you need.  Unfortunately, digital signatures can also mark the page, which I feel is a terrible error on their part, but too late now...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"There is no such thing as an "anti copy feature""  Currency printers in nations all over the world would disagree. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These solutions sound useful. While they might be rivals to Acrobat, probably worth mentioning them.

I counsel people strongly against multiple signatures otherwise, because each one adds a lot of overhead to PDF processing. This becomes quite noticeable by about 10 signatures, and round about 50 it may become impossible to open the file. It's a slippery slope and some workflows could go easily from 2 to 50, even if it requires manual processing and patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder what do you think of the following file:

Dropbox - 4pages.new.pdf

it is a 4 page document.

looks as if it has 4 digital signatures - one in each page, while actually there is only 1.

Adobe Reader opens it with no problems, I just wonder if it violates any of the PDF basic rules, and one day it won't be opened by the new Adobe reader versions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am looking a solution like this.  Is this sample file 4Pages.new.pdf still downloadable?  I got error while doing direct download.  I don't have the iCloud account and need to direction dowlard to my office PC.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very nice example! Thanks for sharing. Which product/toolkit did you use to create it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when signing engineering plans-- in addition to a PE Stamp---  signatures are required by law on each plan sheet as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had found the following process efficient for sealing multiple drawings in a set:

1. Create a PDF of your seal with your signature overtop of it. Ideally this should be a vector graphic you export from AutoCAD or Revit (Trace your signature with the spline tool).  Be sure the graphic is to actual scale.
  2. In a new PDF file containing your title block go to add Background under the tools / Pages sidebar. 
  3. Set your source as the graphic PDF image you created in step 1.  set the absolute scale to 100%
  4. Adjust the appearance settings as you prefer for the sheet by rotating the stamp, and uncheck "Scale relative to target page".
  5. adjust the position settings so that the seal graphic aligns with your sheet's title block.
  6. Click on Save Settings at the top and name the background setting as preferred.
  7. click OK and zoom in to verify your seal is appearing correctly.  go back to steps 4 thru 6 as necessary.
  8. The graphical seal and signature will appear on all drawings as a background.
  9. The final step is to certify the PDF document to lock it down to your preferences.  I use "Certify without visible signature" so that the PDf cannot be unlocked, nor have the seal and signature extracted (even though it is just a easy to screen capture the image all the same).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A small point: it is better to apply the stamps, then sign once, since signing then stamping will invalidate the signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines