• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 9 - "On Exit - Jump to Slide" Not working

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just recently upgraded to Captivate 9 and I have converted an older Captivate file to the new Captivate 9 version.  On a few of the slides, I have the actions set for the slide to "On Exit", "jump to slide".  Unfortunately, the slide is not jumping to any other slide; it just continues to the next slide as if there was no action set.  I have tried deleting the slides, adding new slides, updating the existing slides and still the "On Exit", "jump to slide" does not work.

Does anyone have any idea about this or can recreate it to see if it works for you?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

I've just tested this in Cp9 on a new project and it works fine, though I agree with Lilybiri that using On Exit is not usually the best way to go.

Could you please try testing a new small project created in Cp9 to see if the problem exists there?  It may be that you have found a bug that only occurs in older projects upgraded to Cp9.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avoid using On Exit event for navigation is my recommendation. Use the On

Enter event of the next slide. Not only for CP9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,  I was reading your comments on issues with the Exit button.  You stated: 

I void using On Exit event for navigation is my recommendation. Use the On

Enter event of the next slide. Not only for CP9.

Where is the "On Enter Event"  option.  I did not see it under the listing for "On Success"

I can't get my Exit button to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2017 May 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod answered already, here is a link to an article explaining all events that can be used to trigger an action:

Events and (advanced) Actions - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just tested this in Cp9 on a new project and it works fine, though I agree with Lilybiri that using On Exit is not usually the best way to go.

Could you please try testing a new small project created in Cp9 to see if the problem exists there?  It may be that you have found a bug that only occurs in older projects upgraded to Cp9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Lilybiri and RodWard for your suggestions!

Rod - I tested a new project and it worked as it should.  So, it must be a bug that only occurs in older projects upgraded to Cp9.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I suggest you log it as a bug:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rod Ward!  I submitted a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2015 Dec 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW-- Captivate 7-- I was having the same issue all day, and I believe that it is related to audio (because i was consistently able to get the exit jump action to work without it). It seems that stretching out the slide a bit past the audio was the solution. I guess this gives Captivate the time necessary to do the jump?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem in Captivate 7 on slides that don't have audio. I'm using a skin editor and trying to branch using the Actions' On Exit Jump To option. I want slide 7 to jump to slide 9. But when I publish and go through the lesson, slide 7 goes to slide 8. If On Exit is not the way to go, what are my other options for branching? I was hoping to avoid creating a Next button to get this effect because my skin editor already has a Next button. But if that's my only option, at least I've learned something.

Thanks in advance for the advice 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The on exit event is not to be trusted, I will avoid it when possible. Why

do you want to skip a slide? Cannot you use the On Enter event of the slide

to be skipped? When will that slide be visited?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

Those are all good questions.

Why do I want to skip a slide? Slide 7 has a hyperlink to a lesson handout (PDF). My client wants the PDF to be accessible within the lesson so I'm using a web object widget on slide 8 to achieve this.

When will the slide be visited? Only when you click on the link on slide 7. Because this web object is not really part of the lesson, per se. It's an extra, so I wanted to lesson to branch to it. Slide 8 has a hyperlink that says "Back to the Lesson" that takes you back to Slide 7 -- because my original placing of the web object slide was at the end of the lesson.

So I agree Lilybiri, On Exit is not my best friend.

Can't I use the On Enter event of the slide to be skipped? I've never done that. I'm not sure how, but I'm willing to try. If you can give me any tip, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need a conditional action, check which slide was visited before,

if it was the previous slide, jump to slide 9,.else Continue. I am on

phone, no CP but there is a system variable that gives number of last

visited slide which you can use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that. Thanks, Lilybiri!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem in Captivate 9, HTML5 output. Extending the slide slightly past the end of the audio allows the "On Exit" event to fire. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having a similar issue and wondering why on earth do we have a feature that is not to be trusted in a software package that A. Costs a lot and B. is used by a lot of people. Is there a list out there of the features we shouldn't trust?. A bug is a bug and it should be addressed.

My issue is: I used a Cap8 template, downloaded from elearning brothers, the last slide has an exit button that uses the advanced action of Exit which doesn't work.

Frustrating indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2016 Dec 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps it will be helpful to know that the exit function is problematic in general and is not related to Captivate.

To verify this, follow the link below:

Click here to view

Note the number of results and how many times this has been asked. It's unreliable at best.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Captivate 8 and the experience with this is inconsistent. I want the learner to return to the menu from where they started so I want to jump back to the slide they just left in a large project. I submitted a bug ticket, whether or not it will be fixed is another story. I am not sure I understand the benefit of using the On Enter. Use that for the next slide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always try to avoid the On Exit event personally, it is not to be trusted but that is of course based only on personal experience. Even when you are sure that the last frame of a slide will be visited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod, any other suggestions to get the Exit button to work.  I am in Captivate 9 but the Exit button does not work for me.

Dee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dee,

If you select the slide in the filmstrip and then look in Properties > Actions you will see the option to trigger an Action using the On Slide Enter event.  It only applies to slides, not to other objects.

As regards the issue of a triggered Exit action not working, other posters on this thread have pointed to resources that explain how the Exit function is often over-ridden by browsers or by LMS players.  So whether or not your Exit function will work is often dependent on factors that are beyond your control.

In what specific situation is your Exit function not working?  Are you using an LMS?  Does it not work if you just play the content from your local hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod, thanks for responding.  I will try the On Slide Enter event you mention thanks. Regarding my specific situation  I am converting my Captivate files to PDF 's that will be store on a website.  When it is viewed the Exit button does not Exit out of the simulation.  It does not work when I play it from my local hard drive or the website. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your content is a PDF I don't think the Exit button would work in that situation because the Captivate content is actually an SWF running inside a Flash Player in the PDF and that content would not be allowed to close the parent PDF.

The other problem you are likely to run into with end users is that not everyone is likely to have the Flash Player plugin installed for their Acrobat Reader application.  AR doesn't nowadays come with Flash Player already installed, so many users will just report that your content doesn't play for them.  You could end up with a lot of support calls unless this content is being deployed in a corporate environment ONLY where all browsers have Flash Players.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 28, 2017 May 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes the end-users are in an environment where they will have the Flash Players capability.  Even when I preview in Captivate before I even publish as PDF the Exit button does not work.  i will try the On Side Enter event and see if that works.  Thanks again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources