1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 11:18 PM by cc_merchant

Need help choosing a new computer to run After Effects

everkingsley

Hi All,

I've been waiting to buy a desktop til i could save up for something really good, but running After Effects on my laptop just isn't cutting it.  It slows everything down and when trying to use the playback function it only plays at 6fps. That being said, I need something that will give me better performance than my laptop does but doesn't break the bank.  (That way I can still upgrade to a more desirable machine.)  I'm a noob when it comes to shopping for computers that go beyond disk space and wifi, so I've been asking around, but honestly i've mostly gotten conflicting opinions. I've been told GPU matters most, I've been told GPU doesn't matter at all.  The same goes for CPU.  I've also been told that it doesn't matter if i get something with integrated graphics over dedicated, etc. That's where I'm hoping you guys can help, since you actually understand the program I'm running.

I'd like to buy something already built, so I don't have to worry about screwing anything up.  I've been thinking about getting a cheap desktop off of ebay(as long as it will run better than my laptop) and then adding onto it, but I'm not sure if that is the wisest decision.  Can all desktops even be upgraded or do they hit a point where they're worthless?

Here are my laptop's specs:

windows 10 Home

intel core i3 cpu  M380@ 2.53 GHZ

4 GB ram (3.80 gb usable)

64 bit

1 TB HDD drive

intel HD graphics(internal) with a total of 1696 MB of graphics memory and 64MB of dedicated video memory

Is there anything out there that would run AE more smoothly than my laptop, but for cheap?  Here are a few I've been looking at:Dell Optiplex 960 (3GHz Quad Core Q9650/ 4GB RAM/ 160GB HDD)

IBM Thinkcentre M58 PC Windows 7 Pro Desktop Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz/ 8GB/ 250GB HD with intergrated graphics

A custom build (with integrated graphics) including: Motherboard Z87-G41/ 8GB RAM FURY HYPER/ Solid Gear 400w PSU/ LG DVD DRIVE/ INTEL G3258 PROCESSOR(3.2GHZ)/ 240GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD/ MSI case

And this one: AMD 4.2Ghz Quad Core 8GB RAM 1TB HDD/Intergrated graphics.

Thanks in advance for your help!