4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2015 11:00 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I turn off audio from a clip I've downloaded to my project assests and want to add to my timeline??

lorraine dw899129 Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 12 and want to turn off audio from a video clip I downloaded into my projects assets - can't find an easy way to do this?  I also am using a narration in the narration track but cannot see the audio channels at all so I can edit there as well??

[Premiere Elements is not part of the Cloud]

[Moved from the generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

• 1. Re: How do I turn off audio from a clip I've downloaded to my project assests and want to add to my timeline??
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are any number of ways to do this, lorraine, depending on if you just want to lower the audio level, mute it or remove it completely.

The easiest way to remove the audio completely is to right-click on the clip on your timeline and select Delete Audio.

• 2. Re: How do I turn off audio from a clip I've downloaded to my project assests and want to add to my timeline??
            A.T. Romano Level 7

lorraine dw

You cannot disable sound in Project Assets. But, you can after you drag the file to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Regarding the first part of your audio question, besides the Delete Audio command which gets rid of the audio altogether

a. highlight the Timeline clip, and mute the audio volume with the slider in the route Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded.

b. with the mouse cursor, drag the audio clip rubberband all the way down to the bottom of the Timeline clip's representation.

(rubberband = orange/yellow horizontal line that runs through the clip)

But the reason that I entered your thread relates to the following that you wrote and which was not addressed, that is,

I also am using a narration in the narration track but cannot see the audio channels at all so I can edit there as well??

I am assuming that you are referring to waveform for the audio of the file. Each of the tracks can have a "Display Format Style". The Premiere Elements 12/12.1 audio track can have 2, one with and one without the waveform. Toggle the microphone icon to the left of the Narration Track's name to go from one style to the other. Was that in any way related to what you sought with regard to the Narration Track?

Please excuse the question, but just not to take anything for granted....the tracks come in an opened and closed configuration...do you have the Narration Track in the open configuration?

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I turn off audio from a clip I've downloaded to my project assests and want to add to my timeline??
              lorraine dw899129 Level 1

Thanks for the info - will try your suggestions. I am having troubles with the audio. Another question in my narration there is some distracting sounds like a door closing & also I sound like I'm speaking in a very large empty space - I thought I could fix some of the latter with the audio mixer but it didn't do any thing noticeable. I don't know what I did but the volume levels changed from higher to lower when I cut out a very brief error and created two sections. I couldn't find a way to undo that action. 

I reviewed a good tutorial for this software but found it too basic and not enough detail.

Lorraine W.

• 4. Re: How do I turn off audio from a clip I've downloaded to my project assests and want to add to my timeline??
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lorranine dw

Thanks for the reply.

If you are focusing on the Narration Track and the narration clips produced with the Narration Tool.

1. Set up the ideal recording work area for the narration recording....

Set the Mic Sensitivity all the way to the left.

Narration.JPG

After the narration is Done, narration clip in the Narration Track, if necessary, select the narration clip and go to

Adjust Tab/Adjustments Palette/Volume Panel expanded to adjust the clip's volume with the volume slider there.

Narration 2.JPG

There are other ways to adjust audio volume but let us use that for now. Remember 0.0 dB is not no sound. The 0.0 dB represents the level at which the audio was recorded.

Work with the Audio Meter visible in the workspace and let that we your double check/guide to adjusting audio volume for the Narration Track's selected clip.

For opening Audio Meter, please see Window Menu/Audio Meters.

Narration 4.JPG

Did you see the following Adobe document on Premiere Elements Narration?

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Create narrations

Also, note that the narration clip has an orange line running horizontally through its middle...by default that represents volume. If that line gets dragged down, you lower the clip volume, if that line gets dragged up, you increase the clip volume. In the screenshot, the volume level represented is 0.0 dB.

Narration 5.JPG

Did you move that line with your mouse cursor?

Please review and consider and then we can move forward, if necessary, based on the details in your reply.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If you have not updated from 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates, please do that for overall reasons, especially to get rid of a text style issue that exists only in the 12 Expert workspace.