9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 11:10 PM by ManiacJoe

I made a big mess ?

monteb58

Hello I'm new to Lightroom, and trying to straighten out a mess I made. I installed a new ssd drive and a larger hard drive for storage. I wanted to use the ssd drive for the programs, lightroom and photoshop and the hard drive to store all the photos. I did a fresh install of lightroom and photoshop. I don't see the catalog on my ssd drive ?  I'm having a hard time trying to figure this all out. in lightroom the catalog is located on a drive I used to backup my system before I started all this when it's hooked up to a usb port so I can start importing and organizing all the photos. when that external drive is not hooked up, lightroom shows the catalog in C:\users\monte\onedrive\pictures\lightroom. why onedrive ? the only thing I can think of is I changed the location of the windows photo and video folders to the new storage drive as I wanted all the phots and video to go there instead of the ssd drive. anyway I have a mess. please I need some advice / help

Thanks

• 1. Re: I made a big mess ?
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Your original catalog is where you originally put it, or where you have since moved it to.

LR does not care where the catalog is located, you just open it. See the menu options /file/open/  and /file/open-recent/

If need be, use the OS tools to find your catalog by searching for the *.LrCat files.

Similarly, LR does not care where your images are; it just need to know where that is. If you have moved the images using the OS tools (explorer), you just need to let LR know where you moved them to by going to the Folders panel and "find missing" on the top-level folder(s).

• 2. Re: I made a big mess ?
            Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi Monteb,

Please check and confirm the location of the catalog you are using.

In order to check the location of the catalog, please navigate to Edit > Catalog Settings > General

Also, please mention :

Do you want to keep the catalog and the images on the external hard drive?

~Mrinmay

• 3. Re: I made a big mess ?
              monteb58 Level 1

Thanks for the reply Manicjoe, I think what I have to do is move all the pictures and photos from the external drive to the new storage drive first, then disconnect it and then import them into lightroom. cuz if I try and use lightroom with it connected it uses the old catalog.

Thanks again !!!! hope it works

• 4. Re: I made a big mess ?
                monteb58 Level 1

Please check and confirm the location of the catalog you are using.

In order to check the location of the catalog, please navigate to Edit > Catalog Settings > General

Also, please mention :

Do you want to keep the catalog and the images on the external hard drive?

~Mrinmay

Hi Mrinmay, the location with the external drive is on the external drive if I open lightroom with it hooked up. if I open lightroom without it being hooked up it's on the c: drive;  C:\users\monte\onedrive\pictures\lightroom. I think if I were delete the catalog on the external drive then lightroom would not see it and I could import from it and would use the catalog on the c: drive.

The external drive was only for moving everything over, and now for putting things back, I want to do whatever's best. installed a new ssd drive and a large hdd my thought was operating system, lightroom, photoshop and video editing programs on ssd and hdd for storage.

• 5. Re: I made a big mess ?

Hi Monteb,

As soon as you connect the external hard drive and launch Lightroom, Lightroom is able to access the catalog from the external hard drive.

However, once you disconnect the external hard drive, Lightroom is not able to find that catalog, so it opens the catalog from the last accessed location from the computer.

Now, if you wish to delete the catalog from the external hard drive, you will loose the information of the images along with all the edits done.

~Mrinmay

• 6. Re: I made a big mess ?
                    monteb58 Level 1

Hi Mrinmay,

So how about if I just move the pictures from the external hdd to the new internal hdd then import them into lightroom without the external hdd connected ?

• 7. Re: I made a big mess ?

Yes, you may do that.

Note : The original images will be imported without any changes (if made in the catalog present in the external hard drive).

You may consider to merge both the catalogs.

Merging Individual Lightroom Catalogs into a “Master” Catalog « Julieanne Kost's Blog

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Import photos into Lightroom

~Mrinmay

• 8. Re: I made a big mess ?
                        monteb58 Level 1

Thank Mrinmay,

I'll check them out, fortunately there is not to many photos only about 300 and they were not all organized through lightroom, which I plan to from here on out  Thanks Again, I'll let you know how it all works out

• 9. Re: I made a big mess ?
                          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Importing a second time is usually a bad idea as you lose all your previous edits.

If you want the catalog on your local hard drive, just copy the *.LRCAT file and its matching "previews.LrData" folder from the external drive to the internal drive using the OS tools (explorer).

If you want the images on the internal drive, copy your pictures folder tree to the internal drive using the OS tools (explorer). If you move the images, you will need to tell Lightroom where you moved them to using "find missing" on the top-most moved folder in the Folders panel.