13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2015 3:16 PM by buffalobluff

Saving video clips

buffalobluff Level 1

I have Adobe Premier Elements 10.My computer is an HP desktop,64 bit,Windows 7 system.I have created a video containing many short videos.I want to extract sections of the same subject to put together into another video.How do I move these clips from Premier Elements 10 and save them in a folder or something to combine later? Thank you for any help.

• 1. Re: Saving video clips
          A.T. Romano Level 7

buffalobluff

Consider...

Import the master video into a new Premiere Elements 10 which is set with a project preset to match the properties of your master video.

Double click its thumbnail in Project Media to open its Preview Windows which offers Set In and Set Out points for trimming of the clips into selected clips.

Each trim in the Preview Window can be

a. dragged from the Preview Window to the Project Media area where it is saved as source media for the project

and or

c. dragged from the Preview Window to the Timeline to be Timeline content for export.

Please review the details in the following and then we will narrow them down to target you specific video editing goals.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

The blog post work was done with Premiere Elements 11, but the principles apply to Premiere Elements 10 as well.

The export settings should be consistent with the project settings of the projects involved.

Just make sure that you are not running Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. That is another story.

ATR

• 2. Re: Saving video clips
            buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: Thank you for such a quick response.Your help in the past has been priceless.I have copied all the instructions and will now see if I can make this work.Thanks to you I have completed my biography DVD and my family memories DVD and have given copies to my grandchildren and Daughter.I now want to assemble chronological videos and photos of my cousins and give them copies.It wil be a few days before I know if I can do this. I will let you know as soon as I know! Thank you again!   George

• 3. Re: Saving video clips
              A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Wonderful news of your progress and great worthwhile family project. My zeal for Premiere Elements troubleshooting is just about matched by my zeal for searching for and gathering my family histories.

If you have any questions as you explore the suggestions, please let me know. If necessary, I can customize what I have described to fit better into your video presentation plan. Thanks for the opportunity to learn of the results as your schedule permits.

Best wishes to you and the family

ATR

• 4. Re: Saving video clips
                buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano:I had hoped to come back with news of success but I cannot.I have tried to use the Preview Window to move a clip into the project assets with no success.I double click a clipin the preview window I set the indicator to the start of the segment I want and click Set In-I move the indicator to the end of the segment I want and click Set Out--I click on and try to drag the segment to the project assets but it shows a circle with a line thrue it and will not transfer.In the meantime all my remaining video has disappeared.Big shock! Thank God for the undo button!I have tried useing the split clip scissors to isolate the wanted material into a smaller clip.This saves the remaining video but still does not work. The video I am working with is MP4.The project setting is   NTSC-DV-STANDARD 48 KHZ. This has worked to combine 5 dvd videos into 1 , add a menue and burn to blank dvd's. Is there something wrong with my project setting?  Any help is greatly appreciated.   George

• 5. Re: Saving video clips
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 (assumed 64 bit)...

Let us go through Preview Window

1. You import your video into the project with Get Media/Files and Folders. You see this

View1.JPG.

Your import is in the Project/Media section. You need to remember that the Media section has 2 views, List and Icon.  The Media View in the screenshot above is the Icon one. If you click on the second icon from the left (above the file thumbnails), that is for the Icon View icon. If you click on the first icon there, that is for the List View. And, then the Media View/List View would look like

ListView.JPG

When you are in the Media View/Icon View and you want to save the Preview Windows trim as a subclip to the Media View/Icon View, you hold down the Ctrl key and click and drag from the Preview Window to the Media View/Icon View.

When you are in the Media View/List View and you want to save the Preview Window trim as a subclip to the Media View/List View, then you just click and drag from the Preview Window to the Media View/List View.

Did you do all that? If not, please give it a try in a new mini project to practice with the feature.

You can always use the Scissors Tool to cut the file once it get to the Timeline. And, the Delete or Delete and Close Gap as indicated.

We can talk about selective export of Timeline content if interested. That involves 2 requirements

a. You set Work Area Bar gray tabs to span just the clip of interest

coupled with

b. Putting a check mark next to Share Work Area Bar Only option in the export settings.

As for project settings....NTSC DV Standard is the default project preset. You need to set the project preset in the New Project dialog if your source file does not match the description for NTSC DV Standard (720 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second), What is the description of the .mp4 that you want to bring into the project for editing - frame size, frame rate, and all the rest?

Please let me know if I have targeted what you need for your Premiere Elements projects. If you need more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Just give more details.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Saving video clips
                    buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano:I have tried everything suggested but no success.I have tried the icon view and the list view.Nothing moves.The following is my video info.   TYPE:MPEG movie (MP4)   FILE SIZE:307.1 mb    IMAGE SIZE: 854 x 480   FRAME RATE: 29.97   AVERAGE DATA RATE: 225kb/second    PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: 1.0   My project setting matches your description in your previous reply. I am interested in your suggestion to use SELECTIVE EXPORT OF TIMELINE CONTENT.I would need an explanation of the WORK AREA BAR GRAY TABS and putting a check mark next to SHARE WORK AREA BAR because I have no idea where these are and certainly not how to use them. I can do a pretty good job of isolating my wanted video with the scissors. Maby the clip that is isolated on the timeline could then be moved to the assets area or elsewhere to be used later.Again I thank you for any help.   George

• 7. Re: Saving video clips
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

George

This is an example for the selective export.

New project with the project preset in the new project dialog set at NTSC DV Widescreen.

Import your 854 x 480 into the Timeline workspace...Video 1/Audio 1.

selective-export-1.jpg

Goal 1 is to move those gray tabs so that they span just the area between those Xs.

You can do that

a. With the mouse cursor, move each in place

or

b. Use shortcut...Move the Timeline Indicator to the first X, hold down the Alt key and hit the left bracket key [

Then move the Timeline Indicator to the second X, hold down the Alt key and hit the right bracket key ]

Goal 2 is that Share WorkArea Bar Only option in the Export area...Share/Computer/ for this sample I will pick MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Widescreen.

Selective-Export-2.jpg

Then if all is OK, then hit Save and wait for completion of the export - find your export in the location that you set in Save In in the export dialog.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above. With this technique, you do no cut the video.

Any questions or clarification needed, please let me know. If necessary, we will revisit the Preview Window technique. But if the above works we can put that aside for the moment.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Saving video clips
                        buffalobluff Level 1

Hello MR. Romano:The days were dark and cloudy and the nights were black and fearful with gnashing of teeth.Then the clouds parted and there was music and light! Your instructions worked perfectly! I cannot thank you enough.Perhaps when we both get our strength back we can tackle the Preview Window monster.Thank you again.   George

• 9. Re: Saving video clips
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Really great job. Your strength should be re-built by your success so operation Preview Window subclips and trims coming in this thread with personalized screenshots within the next 24 hours or sooner.

The best is yet to come with your video projects, and I appreciate the opportunity of helping you get there.

To be continued....

ATR

• 10. Re: Saving video clips
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

George

You open Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit to its Timeline workspace.

You import your video using Get Media/Files and Folders. When you do that, your import arrives in the Project Media.

You double click the thumbnail of the video in Project Media to open its Preview Window which has the Set In and Set Out points that we need to trim the video into clips which we will call trims. All is going to look like this up to this point -

Premiere Elements 10.JPG

We want to obtain the segment of the video from its 2 second mark to 5 second mark (00;00;02;00 to 00;00;05;00).

1. You move the Timeline Indicator to the 2 second mark and hit the Set In.

3. Then you move the Timeline Indicator to the 5 second mark and hit Set Out.

Notice that the Project Media view comes with two choices of view, the Icon View and the List View. The choice is governed by the icons pointed to in the following screenshot. Right now we are in the Icon view.

Premiere-Elements-10Icon-Vi.jpg

4. So now you are in the Icon view, you have set your trim with the Set In and Set Out point, and you want to use that trim (now in Preview Window) in two places in the project - depending on your project needs you can do one or the other or both

a. Putting it on the Timeline to be part of your Timeline content. So, with the mouse cursor, click and drag from the Preview Window to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

b. In addition, you might want to save that trim as source file that you can use again in the project by dragging a copy of it from Project Media to the Timeline Video Track 1/Audio Track1. To do this one, as you hold down the Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard, with the mouse cursor, you click and drag from the Premiere Window to the a blank space in the Project Media area. Keep holding down on the Ctrl key. when the mouse course get to a blank area in the Project Media, release the click on the click drag that you were just doing. Then release the Ctrl key. You should now see a thumbnail in Project Assets for the trim that you just created in Preview Window. Good idea to right click that thumbnail and give it a new name in Project Media..

Premiere-Elements-10-Trimmi.jpg

If you did all this in the List View, then you do not need to hold down the Ctrl key as you click and drag from the Premiere Window to the Project Media....just click drag release click when the mouse cursor arrives in Project Assets.

Please refer back to the blog post mentioned earlier and determine if it is now easier to follow through blog steps.

Repeat the above procedure to obtain more trims as needed.

Looking forward to your results as your time permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Saving video clips
                              buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano:Thank you very much for the great instructions.I have been successful with moving clips from the Preview Window to the Project area in both the List and Icon views.I have then moved the clips into the Timeline.This is fine if I want to use them in the present Timeline but I really want to save the clips to my Documents, Pictures  or Desktop folders to be used in a completely new video of only clips and still photos combined.When useing the Preview Window I do not know how to save the clips to the mentioned folders from the Project View or the Timeline.I am getting the best results useing your instructions of Sept. 30, 2015 4:52 PM.Use instruction shortcut B to place the Timeline indicator then press ALT and Left bracket then move the Timeline indicator and press ALT and Right bracket. Then go to Share and save the clip to any folder I choose.This works very well.Is there a way to save clips to folders when useing the Preview Window and the Timeline?I hope I have not worn out my welcome. Thank you for any help.   George

• 12. Re: Saving video clips
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

George

Sounding great. Great progress. Well done. All Premiere Elements workflow questions welcomed at any time.

Just about the only thing that you can save to the hard drive from the Timeline area is a title created in the project's Titler. Otherwise, it is the selective export of Timeline content that I described previously. The save title feature will save the title as a .prtl file to the computer hard drive. Use in another Premiere Elements project is for all intents and purposes its usefulness. I guess we might include Freeze Frames from Timeline video via Tools Menu/Freeze Frame as another export that can escape Publish+Share and get to your computer hard drive save location. I believe, when you create a narration clip with the Narration Tool, a copy of the narration clip is sent to a hard drive save location. But, I do not think that is what you are seeking. But, the above is good to keep in mind just in case.

I think the way to go is the trimming of the clips in the Edit area and the selective export of the Timeline that was originally described.

Please consider. But, if further questions on this, please do not hesitate to ask, including the particular information needed to supplement what you have already worked with.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Saving video clips
                                  buffalobluff Level 1

Hello Mr. Romano: I thank you for your quick reply. I will proceed with the ALT and Left and Rigrt brackets approach and try to build a clip/photo video.Thank you again for all your help.   George