3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 2:15 PM by kob-ryde

Character ready for animation.. Start from scratch or use template?

kob-ryde

Hey everyone!

Firstly..I am so amazed with character animator! Good work Adobe!!

I have a childrens music band called 'Panda Party' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1HDW1Q-H-c

Up until now everything has been costume based but now with the amazing launch of character animator I can now start making full cartoons.

I have just finished all the various separate elements of body parts, mouth shapes, eye blinks etc of one of the character 'Penny Panda' ready to make my first animated character. I used the basic puppet template from character animator into photoshop and started to move layers where they should be. Unfortunately even though the head was correct at first..as i moved forward lots of elements were incorrect, eyes werent following and the body shape and eye locations of the original puppet threw a lot out!

With something like this would you suggest completely starting from scratch and renaming elements from an original file rather than a puppet template? And if so is it as simple as just importing the correctly named final layered psd into character animator and puppeteering will be ready?

Or is there another puppet template more suited to this body style that i can start with?

Thanks Adobe! Cant wait to start rolling out our new content with the new characters

Kob

penny panda.jpg

• 1. Re: Character ready for animation.. Start from scratch or use template?
          KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The way I started was to take one of the examples that seemed to fit my need, and then change each layer element to my own puppet design. Adding specialized layers seemed easier this way.

This way, when I try to add a new function I'm not really familiar with, I only have learn that one thing.

I kind of like Wendigo for this purpose.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Character ready for animation.. Start from scratch or use template?
            Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Hi Kob... If your character doesn't have any profile/quarter views for the head, you should've been able to use the default puppet template (New Puppet in Photoshop / Illustrator), but if you have multiple views, then Wendigo as Jerry described would be a good one to follow. You could also start from your original artwork and group/rename layers as needed.

When using any existing puppet template (Wendigo, default template, etc.), you'll want to make sure to move any handles for Fixed/Dangle/etc. to appropriate locations based on your artwork, so that they aren't above empty parts of the document.

If you are still having trouble getting usable results, feel free to post a screenshot of your artwork layer hierarchy or a shareable link to your artwork file for us to look at.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Character ready for animation.. Start from scratch or use template?
              kob-ryde Level 1

Thanks very much both, ill give it another go but start with Wendingo instead of the default character and see how I get on.

If i encounter any more issues i'll be back in touch, appreciate the help!