1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2015 1:14 PM by Eugene Tyson

How do I replace an image from a template with my own? My photos are losing quality when placing.

jo6454

I am using a template that I downloaded online for a portfolio I'm creating. The template is from Envato and it was a download, allowing me to replace their images and text with my own. The template has boxes that say "replace your picture." I just noticed that all my pictures that I have placed into these boxes appear to be low quality. The way I am placing them is by simply going to file > Place. I am good with photoshop and never have a problem with this in PS. How do you place a photo in InDesign that is high quality? (the original photos are high quality)

• 1. Re: How do I replace an image from a template with my own? My photos are losing quality when placing.
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign will place the image at the resolution depending on how it's scaled in the layout. Go to Window>Info and then select the image.

There are two readings to go by.

Actual ppi will show the original resolution before scaling.

Effective shows the resolution after scaling. If the resolution shows high enough...for example an online portfolio would be best at around 150 or for home printing etc. And a 300 ppi would be best for professional printers.

InDesign will not show your images hi res as it's a page layout programme. It shows a proxy thumbnail image for layout only.

Go to view>display performance to see the images in a higher resolution proxy image.

Ultimately it depends on the final output whether it's pdf jpeg or other or in print.

You can't really on InDesign to give accurate hi res screen proof.