8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2015 2:53 PM by jasonp31058357

add pictures from external ssd

jasonp31058357

I just shot a wedding, I don't have enough room on my laptop to transfer all the pictures. I put them on an external ssd drive and when I try to import them lightroom wants to copy them to my laptop first. I can edit pics from my NAS no problem but I wanted something quicker to do the edits before they go to my NAS. Why won't it just add from the ssd and keep the pictures there? How do I get it to work properly? Thanks!

• 1. Re: add pictures from external ssd
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What system are you using e.g. Windows or Mac?

Is the destination tab fully open on the right side of the import dialog? If not twirl the panel open and then try switching to Add.

• 2. Re: add pictures from external ssd
            dj_paige Level 9

jasonp31058357 wrote:

I just shot a wedding, I don't have enough room on my laptop to transfer all the pictures. I put them on an external ssd drive and when I try to import them lightroom wants to copy them to my laptop first. I can edit pics from my NAS no problem but I wanted something quicker to do the edits before they go to my NAS. Why won't it just add from the ssd and keep the pictures there? How do I get it to work properly? Thanks!

As 99jon said, when you Import, you can use the Import Dialog box ADD choice to leave the photos on whatever drive they are on, and they will not be moved or copied onto your internal drive.

An SSD does not speed up editing, except for trivial speed improvements that are so small fractions of a second that you will not be able to notice.

Exactly what tasks in Lightroom are slow?

• 3. Re: add pictures from external ssd
              jasonp31058357 Level 1

Windows and yes it was open. I even switches the destination to the same spot on the external ssd and lightroom wanted to copy them there to the same spot and make doubles..

• 4. Re: add pictures from external ssd
                jasonp31058357 Level 1

The "add" button was grayed out. It wouldn't allow me to select it. While editing there is no difference in speed but it's the saving process that is faster. I usually export some for my website and then others for print. I can also take it with me to work with the pictures while I'm away.

• 5. Re: add pictures from external ssd
                  99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does the SSD have a drive letter in Explorer? Seems it might be recognized as a device or camera.

• 6. Re: add pictures from external ssd
                    dj_paige Level 9

Perhaps the add button is greyed out because the photos are on the camera card. If so, then you want to choose COPY and make sure that the Destination section on the right hand side of the Import dialog points to the external disk.

While editing there is no difference in speed but it's the saving process that is faster.

I am extremely skeptical. That doesn't make sense (and furthermore, there is no "save" process in Lightroom).

I can also take it with me to work with the pictures while I'm away.

Any old external hard drive allows this, it doesn't have to be an SSD.

• 7. Re: add pictures from external ssd
                      jasonp31058357 Level 1

Windows shows it with a drive letter and also as a removable device. I'm thinking thata be the problem. Maybe it's looking at the drive as an SD card.

• 8. Re: add pictures from external ssd
                        jasonp31058357 Level 1

Yes I can take an old hard drive and plug it into the wall or I can put a tiny ssd in my pocket and just plug a USB cable in. That's more of what I am after. As for saving I meant export. It may not be faster because it won't work right so I dont really know. I just assumed it would. I k ows when I export from my laptop it does so faster than from my NAS. Also when I export these smaller files they are to my laptop. So going from a NAS over wifi I'm sure would be slower than a ssd to usb 3.0