3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2015 9:14 AM by Rick Gerard

circular eq

Jordy boers

ive been looking al night for something like this but this is made with rainmeter is it possible te recreate this exactly into after effects?

https://gyazo.com/f593855eff05acba2648b69c51e21121

• 1. Re: circular eq
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure it is possible, but what actually is your question?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: circular eq
            Jordy boers Level 1

My qeustion is how can I remake this in after effects, or is it something you need to learn by using audio spectrums alot?

• 3. Re: circular eq
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are showing us a still image. Is it animated? Does it animate with the audio?

You could convert audio to keyframes, then create the concentric circles with shape layers, then use trim paths controlled by the audio keyframes to animate the circles.

A simple version would look like this:

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 8.59.29 AM.png

Here is the expression for the start and end values of trim Paths:

Start:

t = thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider");

linear(t, 1, 43, 15, 20)

End:

t = thisComp.layer("Audio Amplitude").effect("Both Channels")("Slider");

linear(t, 1, 43, 85, 80)

The maximum value of my audio to keyframes was 43, the minimum was about zero. I set the second set of numbers to give me a circle that would uniformly open and close to the audio. I then rotated the layer to put the opening at three o'clock and set the blend mode to Hard Light to blend a little of the background image into the shot.

I hope this helps. If you want to separate different frequencies then you'll need to process the audio track to isolate those frequencies in something like Adobe Audition or use TrapCode Sound Keys to do so. The theory is the same.

Here's a project file (CC 2012) without the background image or audio file. If you want to try your own audio file you'll need to add your own audio file and create your own Audio to Keyframes effect. Here's a CC 2014 Animation preset to create the shape layer after you have created your Audio Amplitude layer using Audio to Keyframes. Have fun.