10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 6:55 AM by A.T. Romano

Format of saved files

jean marcs99816756

Is it possible to keep an AVCHD format after having made changes with Adobe Premiere Elements? The format of the file is presently always MP4 . I don't want to loose quality of the resolution.

• 1. Re: Format of saved files
          Sandeep Singh Adobe Employee

Hi Jean,

Thank you for posting on Adobe forums.

You can export project as H264 AVCHD format.

You need to check the custom export settings.

Could you please tell us what is version of Premiere Elements are you using?

Regards,

Sandeep

• 2. Re: Format of saved files
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandeep Singh

I am assuming that jean marcs has Premiere Elements 14 and is asking a Premiere Elements 14 Export & Share question.

jean marcs asks specifically how to export an "AVCHD format" in 14 in its drastically changed sharing area. Your reply was "You can export project as H264 AVCHD". Could you explain further since my observations on AVCHD (typically represented as MPEG4 AVC/H.264) designations are not consistent with that direction.

In Export & Share/Devices/Custom/Advanced Settings/Export Settings and Format

H.264

H.264 AVCHD

H.264 Blu-ray

If I select H.264 and examine the export file....

MediaInfo readout = Format AVC and Codec ID avc1

GSpot readout = Video Codec: Name avc1, Codec H.264/MPEG4 AVC).....

and I get one export file with a .mp4 file extension.

If I select H.264 AVCHD and examine the export file

MediaInfo readout gives only "AVC Format"

GSpot readout = Video Codec: Name H.264, Codec H.264/AVC

and I get two export files, one with the m4v file extension and an informational file with the file extension .xmpses

If I select H.264 Blu-ray and examine the export file..

MediaInfo readout gives only "AVC Format"

GSpot readout = Video Codec Name H.264 , Codec H.264/AVC

and I get two export files, one with the m4v file extension and an informational file with the file extension .xmpses

In the 3 choices H.264, H.264 AVCHD, and H.264 Blu-ray, are we really talking about the same video codec or 3 variations of it?

Or, in terms of Adobe, is the codec the same. Is the only difference perhaps being the export settings available to the user under each of those choices?

In view of the situation, I am wondering if the "H264 AVCHD" choice would be appropriate without further details from the user as to needs.

Thanks for your insights into this matter.

ATR

• 3. Re: Format of saved files
              jean marcs99816756 Level 1

I am considering buying Adobe Premiere Elements 14. I have no experience. So thank you very much for your advices.

The initial format from my camera (JVC Quad proof) is an MTS format (one of the AVCHD) ands I want to keep it after having worked on the files, also because JVC is has an application (Everio MediaBrowser) which automatically positions te videos in a calender. In the case of Adobe, the date in the calender is not the inital date but the date of the creation of the file created in MP4 format, which is useless.

• 4. Re: Format of saved files
                A.T. Romano Level 7

jean marcs

Do you presently have Premiere Elements 14 tryout? What is the computer operating system?

For now, I will assume Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit.

At this time, I would advise you to use in 14

Export & Share

Devices

Custom

Advanced Settings

Export Settings

and the format for

H.264....this should give you your AVCHD format with a .mp4 file extension. There is no opportunity for an export file in Premiere Elements (any version) with a file extension of mts.

Set up the Export Settings Video Tab for your AVCHD.mp4 file (1920 x 1080 @29.97 progressive frames per second according to the following screenshot.

Devices JVC.JPG

Also explore and compare how Elements Organizer 14 Find System and organization works in comparison to your Everio MediaBrowser. See what works for you.

Any questions or need clarification please do not hesitate to ask. If you original file has properties than 1080p30, I will custom the settings for whatever you have.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Format of saved files

Hi A.T. Romero,

Yes I'm using the tryout version  of 14 and my os is Windows 10.

I followed your advises.

It took 25 minutes to save a 1 minute video, and its size increased from 120 Mo in MTS format to 225 Mo in MP4 format. Not very satisfying.
                  And of course the date of the file was changed to today, instead keeping the initial date.

I'll probably have to look for another software. It's a pity, as for pictures I  find Photoshop amazing.
                  Thanks a lot for the time and your help

JMS

• 6. Re: Format of saved files
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jean marcs

What is the bitrate of the AVCHD.mts file that is your source?

I have left the target and maximum bitrates of the customized preset at typical default values for MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080 p30.

It is highly probable that your source has a lower bitrate, and we can lower the 32 target and 40 maximum Mbps bitrates to decrease the file and maintain excellent quality. Let us see. One bitrate does not fit all.

Please set the bitrate of the suggested preset to match the bitrate of your source and let us see if that takes care of the file size considerations.

Not sure if we can control what the Everio MediaBrowser recognizes, but we should be able to control the Premiere Elements export's file size and maintain quality.

We will be watching for further developments as your schedule permits.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 7. Re: Format of saved files

ATR,

Thanks again.

See the settings I've used now. Is that correct (what you told me)?

The exort time is now 13 minutes.

Everio MediaBrowser cannot import MP4 files.

Concerning the Organizer of Adobe Elements 14, here is what I have:

October 2014 is the initial file, not edited with APE 14. The same file edited appears each time with the date of the edition, 26 and 29 September. And I don't know how to classify it under the initial date.

What do you suggest?

JMS

• 8. Re: Format of saved files
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jean marcs

Lots of Elements Organizer options for you to explore....

Headers in Elements Organizer 14 - eLive, Media, People, Places, and Events

In your screenshot, you are in the  Events/Calendar Import Batch view which is going to group your Elements Organizer entries according to the date that the program is considering as shot (when  not edited involved) or the date created as in the case of Premiere Elements export version of the original "shot" file.

You have some opportunities (Edit/Adjust Time Date) in the Elements Organizer, but I am not seeing that open to you for what I think you want to adjust.

Miscellaneous....

Now focus on Media header....you can see Sort by: Newest, Oldest, Name, Import Batch, and, when you create an album, Album Order

Media/Import Batch has the thumbnails grouped by date of import into the Elements Organizer.

If you go to View Menu and have check mark next to Details and File Name

and

You are in the Media Import Batch view, you will see below the thumbnail in a Import Batch group

a. Date video

b. File name

c. Duration of video

But here, the Import Batch Group name is the date of import of the file into the Elements Organizer for original and Premiere Elements edited exported file.

But the information under the thumbnail in this case has the original with the date shot; whereas the Premiere Elements edited exported file will show the date exported as a date of creation and not with the shot date of the original.

Also, please look at creating Albums and sorting and dating of them and their components.

Have you seen the Elements Organizer 14 Help PDF

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

As for the Everio Media Browser, what file extensions and formats does it accept?

Please consider and then we can give you more comments and suggestions.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On...Edited to enhance the clarify. But, any clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

• 9. Re: Format of saved files

Dear ATR,

This has been very helpful.

I've changed the date of the file by using the function album and this addresses my concern of classifying the files by date.

Everio Media Browser has a nicer presentation of the calendar as it shows directly on the calendar the icon (with the first picture) of the files, but this is a detail.
                          So, thanks to you, I've decided to go on and buy Premiere Elements 14.
                          Again, thanks a lot.

Jean-Marc

• 10. Re: Format of saved files
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jean-Marc

Thanks for the reply and reviewing the comments.

Best wishes with your Premiere Elements Elements Organizer projects. Please let us know if you have any further questions or need clarification on their workflows.

ATR