6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 9:31 PM by nostick

Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos

nostick

I'm (reluctantly) moving in the direction of converting RW2 files shot with my Lumix LX-3 to DNG. I'm not convinced DNG is for me, but never mind that. Right now I'm only doing it so Google Photos will import my RW2 photos (it refuses to import RW2 from the LX-3).

When I perform the conversion on RW2 files that have been edited, the editing history of these images is preserved in Lr. That's good! However, one of my favorite things to do when I'm in Lr "develop" mode is to toggle between the edited and original versions (a.k.a. the "before state) of the file using the "\" key. Unfortunately, after a previously-edited image is converted to DNG in Lr, the "before" state appears to be the state of the edited image at the time when it was converted to DNG. I can still see the original by going back to "Import" in the history, but the "before" state is now an edited state. That's lame! Does anybody know of a way to convince Lr to show me the imported image, rather than the image at DNG conversion time, as the "before" state?

What happens when the DNG images are imported to Google Photos is another post.

• 1. Re: Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos
          cppasm Level 3

In the history panel right click on the "Import" entry and select "Copy settings as Before" or something like that.

• 2. Re: Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos
            Bob Somrak Level 5

You have to be careful with that command.  If you click on the history step and then right click to do the command and then apply andedit the whole history will be gone above the step you picked.  To avoid that just right click the step in history without actually selecting it and this won't happen.

• 3. Re: Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

nostick wrote:

Does anybody know of a way to convince Lr to show me the imported image, rather than the image at DNG conversion time, as the "before" state?

If your "before" state is LR's default Develop settings you can see that by hitting the 'Reset' button at the bottom of the right-hand Develop module panel. To "undo' the Reset use the CTRL or CMD + Z keys.

• 4. Re: Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos
                nostick Level 1

Thanks for the tips—and the warning. I knew "reset" would show me the original—as does selecting the "import" step of the history—but I didn't consider either a good option. Both are cumbersome, and since it actually modifies the history I consider "reset" to be slightly risky, undo button or not.

Now if I can just learn a way to perform "copy history step settings to before" on the "Import" step of all 10,000 of the other RW2 files in my library, I'll be set! Seriously though, thanks. I saw that option sitting there but was too chicken to try it and I've done so many experiments this weekend I was kind of just done and wanted someone to tell me what to do. Ya know?

Thanks especially to Bob for that warning. It looks like that's true in general: if you click to highlight a step in the history and then do something, the history above (i.e. after) the step you selected is erased. Still, I'd have probably learned it the hard way if nobody had told me.

• 5. Re: Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos
                  elie-d Level 4

If the sole purpose of converting to DNG is to have a file to upload to Google Photos, why not export the RW2 as a DNG. You can upload it to Google and then delete the DNG from your local drive, if you wish, and continue working with the original RW2 just as before.

• 6. Re: Restore "before" state after conversion to DNG on edited photos
                    nostick Level 1

It's a good suggestion, letting Google have the DNG and keeping the RW2 for myself. I could go on and on about my struggle to tame Google Photos. For a few reasons (and in spite of having started this thread for help sending DNG to Google Photos), for me, at the moment, the best option with GP is to give it JPG exports of my photos, rather than trying to beat it into submission w/r/t raw formats.

Anyway, I started this thread for help with DNG conversion and despite getting my question answered I think I'll hold off. It's a good format in principle, but there are these surprises when you convert from other formats (mostly quirky implementation by different applications) that I just don't want to deal with right now.