• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

error code 160 'CreateRegistryKeyCommand'

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've downloaded the 30 day trial, and it is trying to install Illustrator.  I get an error code

Exit Code: 160

-------------------------------------- Summary --------------------------------------

- 2 fatal error(s), 0 error(s), 1 warnings(s)

FATAL: Error (Code = 160) executing in command 'CreateRegistryKeyCommand' for package: 'AdobeIllustrator19-Core', version:19.1.0.29

FATAL: Error occurred in install of package (Name: AdobeIllustrator19-Core Version: 19.1.0.29). Error code: '160'

WARN: Check for Registry permissions. (Creating Registry Key Failed - Start 64-bit:1 root:0 key:.emf\OpenWithList\Illustrator.exe. Error 5 Access is denied.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have turned off my Norton auto-protect and re-tried the installation, then turned off the firewall and tried it.  It still failed with the same message both times.

Any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated. 

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

I had this same problem when an update arrive for Photoshop 2015.5. I got a similar worded error message, where it failed to delete registry node at SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe

Thanks Atul_Saini for the tip on deleting the registry entry. In my first attempt I tried to delete the registry key manually using regedit, but could not. I could not even change the permissions. Then I found this youtube video, which led me to the "Advanced" button in the regedit per

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to grant full control to reg key ."emf" and retry.

To grant access to regkey:

1. Open Registry Editor.
  2. Click the key to which you want to grant full control.
  3. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
  4. Under Group or user names, click the user to whom you want to grant full control of your registry key.
  5. Under Permissions for name, where name represents the name of the user to whom you are granting full control of the key, select the Allow check box for Full Control.

If above solution doesn't work, please try to create a new admin user account and try to install Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response Atul_Saini.  However, I tried both solutions, and neither of them worked.  Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2015 Sep 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would request you to Contact Customer Care to get this resolved. They would be able to help you remotely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! You saved me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem when an update arrive for Photoshop 2015.5. I got a similar worded error message, where it failed to delete registry node at SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Photoshop.exe

Thanks Atul_Saini for the tip on deleting the registry entry. In my first attempt I tried to delete the registry key manually using regedit, but could not. I could not even change the permissions. Then I found this youtube video, which led me to the "Advanced" button in the regedit permissions, and showed how to take full ownership, just so that you can delete it.

Here's the summary of those steps:

Start REGEDIT

- right click the entry you want to delete

- click PERMISSIONS

- click ADVANCED

- click OWNER

- select your account name

- check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click OK

Now you can give yourself full control in the Permissions

- click on a user name (example: Everyone)

- below at Full Control check ALLOW

- click OK

Now you can delete that registry entry. (Right click on it and select DELETE)

Once you've deleted the registry entry mentioned in your error message, then you should be able to re-run your install or update and it should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved the problem for me.  I was unable to edit the registry and changing the OWNER is what worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem was with Illustrator but this worked perfectly!! An Adobe support rep worked on it for almost 3 hours yesterday and could not fix it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spot on. I searched for the GUID in the error message and gave myself permissions for those keys. With that done Bridge installed successfully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.  Nothing more aggravating than not being able to use your own software after an upgrade!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem but cannot rectify it as the only options I have for groups and user name permissions on Photoshop.exe is Everyone and SYSTEM. There is no administrators, so if I try to add it, is says I don't have permissions to do this.

I can go to other reg keys and can change anything, so it appears to be specific to the entry photoshop.exe.

Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Thanks,

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it sorted. Found the article

Troubleshoot error code 160 while installing Creative Cloud apps

Item 6 fixed my problem.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link! This one was a lot easier to follow and it actually worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2018 Sep 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This worked!  I was on technical support for over 2 hours as well and they did not know how to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For Windows 10 Users and when you can't change Permissions: (Exit Code 160)

If you only have SYSTEM and Everyone as Users under Photoshop.exe Permissions and can't change them,

then add new User and enter your email-adress of your Microsoft Account (Win 10 user) into the field.

Click Check Name on the right and then add the User and change Permissions accordingly.

I tried uninstalling and making a new MS Windows Account and removing stuff with the CC Cleaner until I read on how to create a User under Windows 10 Registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines