13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 10:05 AM by Chetna Srivastava

Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug

phil247kayaker

Pretty much since I updated to LR6 I've noticed that when I use the crop tool, if I decide to change the crop slightly, it reverts back to the original composition, therefore having to start the whole process again. It's really starting to get on my goat as it's severely screwing up my workflow times. Does anyone else get the same thing? I'm running a PC on Windows 10, but to be honest it was exactly the same before I upgraded windows when I was windows 7, so that pretty much rules out windows 10.

I'm also on Lightroom 6 as opposed to Creative Cloud, although I can't see why that should make a difference. I'm on the latest update as well.

Any help would be good, thanks.

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi phil247kayaker,

If possible, share a screenshot of your Lightroom Develop module with the crop tool settings so that we can assist you better.

Also, give it a try in a new catalog.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
            phil247kayaker Level 1

Changing catalogues doesn't fix this issue as I create a new catalogue for every new wedding

crop tool screen shot.jpg

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug

Thanks for the screenshot.

Under Lightroom Preferences> Performance> uncheck the option to use graphics processor

then, relaunch Lightroom and try again.

Also, click on Help menu> check for updates to confirm if you are updated to Lightroom 6.1.1

Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
                phil247kayaker Level 1

Thanks Chetna,

Regarding the Graphics check box, I disabled that some time ago due to a Radeon Driver update that caused Lightroom to crash, so it shouldn't be the cause. I'm a little nervous about trying it again as it completely crashed the develop module last time and I had to go into lightroom program files to alter the code just to disable it. It was a nightmare! I'm definitely fully up to date with lightroom as well.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug

In that case, you need not to do it again.

As per the screenshot, I believe you were talking about the original composition outside the cropped area which gets displayed as soon as you go to crop tool.

That is the expected behaviour in Lightroom as Lightroom does non-destructive editing and due to that reason it shows the original composition of the image whenever you go to crop that image.

I believe that clarifies it.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
                    phil247kayaker Level 1

Sorry but I think you've misunderstood what I said. I'm aware that Lightroom will always show the original frame outside the crop markers. What I'm trying to describe is this, lets say I crop an image, then I decide I want to change that crop, so I click on the crop tool again and attempt to alter the crop, as soon as I attempt to move the crop markers they revert back to the original frame I shot.

This is most definitely a bug, I never experienced this with any other version of lightroom

• 7. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug

I believe that is not a bug as I am not able to reproduce the same on my end on Windows 7 or on 10.

Crop tool seems to be working fine here.

Would suggest you to reset the Lightroom Preferences once and try again.

To reset, follow the below instructions:

1. Quit Lightroom

2. Open run window and type %appdata%

3. Open Adobe > Lightroom > Preferences > rename Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs to Lightroom 6 Preferences-old.agprefs

then, launch Lightroom again and try to use the crop tool.

• 8. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
                        phil247kayaker Level 1

That appears to have cured it! Thank you very much. I'm hoping it will cure my wacom intuos issues as well. I basically had to stop using my tablet and revert back to a mouse due to the pen not being respondent. I'll connect it this evening and see!

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug

Glad to know that you were able to get it working.

Yes, you can check for wacom as well.

Regards,

Chetna

• 10. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
                            wobertc Adobe Community Professional

No one yet mentioned the 'Lock' on the Aspect Ratio! (Set in your screen-clip)

ScreenShot176.jpg

Click the padlock to UN-lock and  allow freehand crop.

Click the drop-menu beside "Original" near the padlock for aspect ratio options.

• 11. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
                              phil247kayaker Level 1

Hi wobertc, thanks for your input but I'm afraid you misunderstood the problem. Resetting lightroom in appdata resolved my issue.

• 12. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug
                                phil247kayaker Level 1

Hi Chetna,

Following on from my initial post, I have now reconnected my intuos pro but the pen issue is still there. I must stress this is only an issue in Develop module when I try to move the sliders using the pen. If I open Photoshop, the pen is fully responsive, this issue is only in Lightroom 6, develop module.

What happens is when I try to move a slider there is a few second lag everytime, almost like I didn't actually touch over the slider correctly, then suddenly it moves aggressively way more than I'd intended. I rang wacom and they did all sorts of trouble shooting for me over the phone, we established that Lightroom appeared to be the issue since it we couldn't recreate the issue in any other program. I'd hoped that the reset yesterday might have cured it, but obviously not.

Is there anything I can do that you think might help?

*UPDATE* The crop tool issue happened again this morning, and now when I click to go on the crop tool icon to open up the crop tool panel, I get a very fast screenshot of a past image I've edited in this set before it opens.

Back to square one :-(

Any help would be much appreciated.

• 13. Re: Lightroom 6 Crop Tool Bug

If preferences fixed that issue and it returned then, I believe there is something which is causing the problem to return.

And for wacom, it could be possible that there is third party application interaction which is causing this.

For both the issues, I would suggest you to got for selective startup and disable the third party applications and other processes running in background.