5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 10:45 AM by Randy Hufford

Please help! Having issues importing large iPhoto library into LR

dh561

Does anyone know if there's a file size limit on the iphoto library?

I have imported several iphoto libraries into LR using the built in LR plug in (all under 200GB), however my primary iphoto library is 680GB and it will not import.  LR keeps hanging and then crashes when it is verifying the library (before it even let's me select a destination folder/drive.

My question is: Has anyone else dealt with this?> Is there a physical limit to import?

BTW on iMAC, 16GB RAM, i7 processor, plenty of HDD storage (I am copying from a 3TB external drive onto a new RAID 4TB ext drive array).

If issue, is there a way to subdivide the iphoto library? 

Thank you

David

• 2. Re: Please help! Having issues importing large iPhoto library into LR
          Randy Hufford Adobe Community Professional

Locate your folder that has the original photos or files in it. The iPhoto library is now a package — it's still a folder on disk, but in order to view its contents, you must explicitly choose File > Show Package Contents in Finder (or you can right-click on it). Once you see the original files, copy them to a new folder making multiple folders with smaller amounts of files in them. Than try importing these smaller folders into LightRoom. Also I have also seen a issue where unresolved fonts has caused the problem. Go to your font app and validate the fonts and try removing duplicates.

• 3. Re: Please help! Having issues importing large iPhoto library into LR
            dh561 Level 1

Thank you Randy.  I opened the package and see the MASTERS folders - there are many other folders and likely directories.  I'm hoping by copying the masters folders that they will contain the indexing information for the albums into LR CC.

I also had an error on one of the libraries and many photos weren't copied from iPhoto library (I'm thinking the HDD went to sleep or computer, I have since changed the settings to stay awake) - however can I re-import the photos into the same file folder in LR and make sure not to import Duplicates?  I'm thinking a few hundred out of several thousand photos did not make it into LR and trying to find best way to complete the import.  Would using exact file folder work and exclude exact duplicates?

Appreciate it, David

• 4. Re: Please help! Having issues importing large iPhoto library into LR
              dh561 Level 1

Hi Randy,

While I was able to subdivide the MASTERS into small folders, it appears that the adobe LR PLUG IN can only recognize the iPhoto Package file.  THe only way to import the photos once I opened the package and subdivided, was to import each individual folder (the plug in would not let me select the entire folder). . . so there must be another way.  

Any suggestions?

Thank you

David

• 5. Re: Please help! Having issues importing large iPhoto library into LR
                Randy Hufford Adobe Community Professional

once you copy all of the files out of the hidden folder into a new location, just one folder all the images in a different location than the iPhotos file. Than do a normal import from Lightroom, does this work? Do not use the original iPhoto folder but images copied to a new location all in one folder and do not use any LR plugin just a normal import, choosing add leave files in same location. Let me know