1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 1:36 PM by Mrinmay Majhi

Lightroom CC stopped allowing Import while Previews are being built.

OiPolloi80525 Level 1

As a working professional who imports 10's of thousands of images a week this problem is killing me!

Until a week ago, Lightroom has always allow me to import images from a new memory card AS the program build previews & smart previews in the background. For example, I'll insert a memory card, import the images and select the program to build standard and smart previews. As soon as the Import is complete, the system ejects the card and begins building previews. I then insert another card of images and begin importing them while the system build previews. As soon as that card is done I insert another, and so on and so on. I've had as many as 10 processes ( preview groups) being built at a time...at once.  Now all of a sudden Lightroom will not allow me to import images from a second card as previews are being built. Therefor I have to wait until ALL previews from the previews import are done before I can insert another card and import. This has essentially caused my workflow time to more than quadruple.

The Import Import Photos dialog under File is greyed out.

I called and Adobe and used their chat system to help resolve the issue. Each of the four people I reached were Indian (not that there's anything wrong with that) but NONE of them could understand the problem. None of them even understood how Lightroom works! As a final call, I called customer support and asked to terminate my subscription because I'm going back to LR5, which as the current problem stands would be much faster. Customer support told me they would charge me a early cancelation charge! I explained that their software is broken and therefor want to stop using it. They said they can not allow me to cancel my Adobe subscription and they insisted they forward my call to tech support...and as expected...after 3-hours on the phone, techs taking control of my computer...they could not figure out the problem,

Can anyone out there help!

~Mike

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC stopped allowing Import while Previews are being built.
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi OiPolloi,

Could you please try to reset preferences of Lightroom and check for the issue?

To reset your preferences, do the following:

> Quit Lightroom.

> Navigate to the preferences file:

Mac OS: /Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist

Windows 7, 8: C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs

> Please rename the preference file

> Relaunch Lightroom and check for the issue

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay