3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 7:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Can't export file created in 3.0 (14 says doesn't support previous version & 3.0 can't activate - no longer supported)

timothyw50761380

I have spent many hours creating a video in Elements 3.0

Unfortunately, when I went to export it into an actual video (regardless of format) or burn onto a DVD, it requires me to get an activation code via the Internet.  When I follow the link it takes me to a site that says 3.0 is no longer supported but I can 'upgrade.'  After paying the $85 to upgrade and installing Elements 14.0 I was delighted to find that my file created in 3.0 opened up in 14.0 and the only thing lost was my DVD templates.  I recreated them, clicked burn, and away I was.

Unfortunately, I think my laptop overheated because when I can back to it it was off and had shut down unexpectedly.  From that point forward, whenever I try to open my project (built in 3.0) in Adobe 14.0 it says that I'm trying to opening a previous version that is not supported and will not let me.  I even tried uninstalling 14.0 and reinstalling it.  I am stuck with a video project I created and no way to actually export or burn it as an video.

PLEASE HELP!

• 1. Re: Can't export file created in 3.0 (14 says doesn't support previous version & 3.0 can't activate - no longer supported)
          A.T. Romano Level 7

timothyw

Are you working with the 3.0.2 Update of 3?

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0.2 update

What computer operating system is involved?

First...there is no guarantee that a project created in an earlier version will open in a later version. I think you know that. But, also know, when you open/edit a project created in any earlier version in a later version, you cannot go back to open the later version edited project in the earlier version. So, what you should have done is made a copy of the original as a safety net. You apparently have not, and it looks like the original 3 project is lost to you for use in 3.

Do you have any 3 project files that have not been opened in anything other than Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2?

Please detail what you have put the following 3 program through so that you get the project not supported message.

whenever I try to open my project (built in 3.0) in Adobe 14.0 it says that I'm trying to opening a previous version that is not supported and will not let me.

The question seems straight forward until we get to the details in your last paragraph. That is why I need more details.I know that you said that you uninstalled reinstall 14 as part of your troubleshooting. Did you ever uninstall reinstall Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 while all this was going on?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't export file created in 3.0 (14 says doesn't support previous version & 3.0 can't activate - no longer supported)
            timothyw50761380 Level 1

I am using an i5 with Windows 7 64bit.

The earlier version did open correctly the first time (just never afterward). 

You are correct that I should have created a copy first thing (foolish on my part).

You are incorrect in stating that I can't go back and open the project in Adobe 3.02.  My workaround, thus far, after posting this message, was to go back to the project in Adobe 3.02 and export it as a Windows Media File (this option did not require a code for validation).  Now that I at least have the file has a wmv I plan to upload it into Elements 14 and recreate the DVD with scenes.  Unfortunately, the video quality will not be as good (being a wmv) but at least I found a way to get my project!   :-)

No, I did not uninstall 3.0 and reinstall it.  I think for now I will just stick with my workaround I discovered unless anyone out there knows how to get a validation code to export MPEGs AVIs or DVD's in 3.0 (even though it's no longer supported by Adobe), OR how to get Adobe 14 to open an Adobe 3.02 project.

Thanks for trying to help!

Tim

• 3. Re: Can't export file created in 3.0 (14 says doesn't support previous version & 3.0 can't activate - no longer supported)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Tim

Thanks for the reply.

Here and elsewhere the party line is that you cannot open an early version project file in a later version of Premiere Elements, save close it, and then reopen this later version project file back in the early version. I find it remarkable that you say you can. I have used Premiere Elements 2, 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 and have not run into that backward compatibility. However, I have documented one rare instance of Premiere Elements 10 project files that could be opened in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. But that same Premiere Elements 10 project file could not be opened in Premiere Elements 9, 7, and 4. (There is no Premiere Elements versions 5 and 6). And, I have found no backward compatibility for Premiere Elements 14 project files opening in Premiere Elements 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, or 4. Never had Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2.

Do you currently have Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 and Premiere Elements 14 installed on the same Windows 7 64 bit computer?

If so, for its new projects, does Premiere Elements 14 give MPEG2 exports and can you burn to disc or folder from it? Is so, please tell me what you have under

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Common

Adobe

ARA

in the ARA Folder do you find a 14.0 and 3.0 Folder or just a 14.0 Folder?

Are you confirming that you export the Premiere Elements 3.0/3.0.2 project file as a .wmv file from 3.0/3.0.2. Please remind me, does that version have export setting with Advanced Button for preset customization. If so, you might want to reconsider your export settings from 3.0/3.0.2.

I know that you are content with the what is, but the uninstall ccleaner reinstall might resolve the MPEG2 activation matter situation in 3.0/3.0.2. Confirm, you are working from the 3.0.2 Update.

ATR