12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 12:56 AM by Klahr

delete old metadata

Klahr

I have an old clean Indesign-document. Its blank. But the size extends 200 mb.

I can see in file info that theres a huge amount of Raw Data concerning old data on old images.

How to delete that?

• 1. Re: delete old metadata
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Export to IDML is probably the best, but doing a Save As should remove the old change data and reduce the size significantly.

• 2. Re: delete old metadata
            Klahr Level 1

Thank you for your answer. But the data remains even when exporting to IDML and Save As.

When I save for IDML the file size is reduced – but when saving back as an Idesign document the size go back to huge.

• 3. Re: delete old metadata

How big is "huge"?

• 4. Re: delete old metadata
                Klahr Level 1

The empty Indesign-document is 231 MB. When saving for IDML it saves as 46 MB – saving back to Indesign it goes back to 231 MB.

When checking File info I can see that all Raw data is not deleted. I think thats the problem.

The easy way is to create a new blank document and start from scratch – I really just want to know how to delete all that Raw info.

I have tried to export an PDF and in Preflight -> Create inventory. It creates a 486 pages document showing meta data on images that were deleted like this:

wn_image_info:imageinfo/wn_image_info:images[27]/wn_image_info:fullpath:

Gyldendal:Igang:9788762810099_Basisbog_i_ergoterapi_0301:Materie:Links:FRI kap 7x.psd

wn_image_info:imageinfo/wn_image_info:images[27]/wn_image_info:left: 538

wn_image_info:imageinfo/wn_image_info:images[27]/wn_image_info:right: 892

wn_image_info:imageinfo/wn_image_info:images[27]/wn_image_info:scale: 1

wn_image_info:imageinfo/wn_image_info:images[27]/wn_image_info:spread_index: 64

• 5. Re: delete old metadata

I don't know why IDML is not reducing the file size for you. Sounds like you have a lot of pages and swatches, styles or other embedded data besides supposed deleted images, or possibly the file is just corrupt -- 46 mb is huge for an IDML file.

I made a 5-page test file. Empty it is 1.01 mb. Placing 4 6 - 7 mb images took the size up to 2.28 mb, and deleting them left it at 2.45. Exported IDML at 33 Kb, then opened that and saved, and the file is back down to 1 mb.

• 6. Re: delete old metadata
                    Klahr Level 1

Thank you for all your help! I keep searching for a solution.

• 7. Re: delete old metadata
                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Did you embed the images or did you link them?

• 8. Re: delete old metadata
                        Klahr Level 1

I recieved a document full of images – linked. I then deleted every page and deleted all images. So now I have a empty document with an empty links-panel.

• 9. Re: delete old metadata

Try following:

1. Create a new document
                          2. Same page size
                          3. Same type (facing/non facing pages)
                          4. Same settings for baseline grid
                          5. 2 initial pages
                          6. No styles (Paragraph, Character, Object, Tables and Cells), no swatches
                          7. Turn on Paste remember Layer (Layer Panel Menu), take care that the existing layer has a different name than the layer names of the old document)
                          8. Open old and new dcument side by side
                          9. Drag from the page panel all pages from the old document to the new one
                          10. Delete initial existing pages and layer
                          11. Save with a new name
                          • 10. Re: delete old metadata
                            Klahr Level 1

This works and is a great solution. But it still bothers me that I cannot get rid of the data in the original document.

But thank you very much for your solution!

• 11. Re: delete old metadata

I think there is some corruption in the old file and any move in the old document could end with a total corrupted version which would not even allow to open the document, that is why I think, only a new document will make it safe.

• 12. Re: delete old metadata
                                Klahr Level 1

You're are probaly right! I am working on a new document now. And it works! Thank you!