1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 8:13 PM by A.T. Romano

HDV / m2t. files:  How does PE 13 play them when Windows 10 WMP will not?

RobertWC06262015 Level 1

Looking for anyone to reply including A.T. - I think he mentioned that Windows Media Player in Windows 10 did successfully play m2t. files outside of Premiere Elements 13.  No such luck for me.  Just for clarity, I am referring to the native format / filename for HDV video when captured digitally.  Of course the MPEG2 compression occurs in that process, and within PE 13 the detail window states filename such as 20150627-191036G01.m2t - and it is playable in the Organizer. 

The installation of Windows 10 did not change the default file association with WMP, and the same problem occurs as did with Windows 8.1:   When the file is clicked on in File Manager, only the audio plays - no video.  My attempted "solution" in 8.1 was to download VLC to get the codec - but it crashed often so I uninstalled it.

So.... I read somewhere that there is a fix for WMP that you have to purchase from Microsoft that could supply the older codecs.  Is this true?  If not, what other solution is out there?

Thanks in advance from Robert C.

• 1. Re: HDV / m2t. files:  How does PE 13 play them when Windows 10 WMP will not?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

You want to be able to play back your MPEG2.m2t files on a computer player outside of your Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 10 64 bit.

I have Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 10 Home 64 bit. On that Windows 10 Home 64 bit computer, I have the players of

VLC Player   VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!

Windows Media Player Version 12 - I have not knowingly enhanced the program with 3rd party codecs

MPC-HC X64 Player   Home · MPC-HC

QuickTime Player 7.7.6   QuickTime 7.7.6 for Windows

Control Panel/Program/Default Programs/Make a file type always open in a specific progam

I set .m2t files to open with Windows Media Player

I have two MPEG2.m2t and they play back in the Windows Media Player when I double click them on the computer hard drive.

The MPEG2.m2t are not support by the QuickTime player

MPEG2.m2t is also played back using the VLC and MPC-HC X64 Player.

You have previously mentioned that the VLC player works for you, but crashes. Please review the following online articles which suggests VLC troubleshooting steps.

Consider downloading and installing the MPC-HD X64 Player.

Determine which players will then play back the MPEG2.m2t files.

That is my thoughts on this for now. We will be watching for further developments. Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification on any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR