7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 7:27 PM by neiln31444299

Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?

neiln31444299

I purchased Premiere Elements 14 as an upgrade from my Premiere Elements 11 and when I open Premiere Elements 11 project into Elements 14 I don't have codecs for my video interviews.  Everything works fine in Premiere Elements 11 with my video, now with Premiere Elements 14 I have NO Codecs.

Please help!

• 1. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

neiln

What computer operating system is involved?

Do you have 11 and 14 installed on the same computer?

There is never a guarantee that a project file created in an earlier version will open in a later version. Nonetheless.....

1. What is exact wording of the "No Codec" message that you are getting when you try to do this? Can we assume that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer and that you are running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

2. How are you opening the 11 project in 14? (Also, be working with a copy of the 11 project. Once the 11 project is opened and edited in 14, you cannot take it back to 11)

3. Are there disc menus in the 11 project? Text files with graphics et al?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification, please ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Have you ensured that you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your computer per the program's requirements?

• 3. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
              neiln31444299 Level 1

Both are installed

“The type of file is not supported or required codec is not installed”

Open Elements 14, then open project started on Elements 11.  The video file M2T is no accepted in 14 with the above message.

Thanks

neil

• 4. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

neiln

Thanks for the reply.

Could you clarify -

Open Elements 14, then open project started on Elements 11.  The video file M2T is no accepted in 14 with the above message.

What happens here -

a. you open the 11 project in 14 successfully - you are in the Expert or Quick workspace

b. At that point, is it that you cannot import a .m2t file into that opened project using 14's Add Media/Files and Folder

or

c. At that point, in the opened Expert or Quick workspace, you get a message that a .m2t that was part of the 11 Timeline is not there and you are gettng the non support or codec message?

I have no problems importing a video file .m2t into the Premiere Elements 14 project - generalization.

Back to the questions that I asked at the onset....

a. Is 14 installed on the same computer with 11?

b. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with 14?

c.What is your computer operating system?

Thanks for the follow ups leading to resolution of the issue.

ATR

• 5. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
                  neiln31444299 Level 1

Problem fixed.  Permission in the library and Application support library needed to changed for read and write.   The all the video from the project started in 11 now opens in 14 because of the change in permissions.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

neiln

Wonderful news. And great job in identifying and resoling the Premiere Elements 14 Mac permissions issue.

Still curious...is the same Mac computer involved for 11 and 14?

That is good information to have for the Premiere Elements troubleshooting toolbox.

Best wishes moving forward with your Premiere Elements 14 mac projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why don't I have codecs for my video in Premiere Elements 14?
                      neiln31444299 Level 1

To answer your question, yes.  It’s the same Mac for elements 11 and 14.  

This was the first time I’ve ever been involved in a Forum discussion.  ’ve read forum discussions when searching for answers, but not writing a question and following through this way.

Thanks for your assistance.

Take care,

Neil