8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 12:40 PM by dj_paige

Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"

rachelm7852660

I am beyond frustrated because I recently downloaded and registered my Lightroom 4 on a new computer and now I cannot access it because of something about the catalog? It says that the catalog cannot be opened because it is too new to be used by this version of Lightroom? I have exhausted my efforts to contact Lightroom because they no longer support it, which seems like a huge joke to me. Please HELP!

• 1. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
          dj_paige Level 9

The catalog was created by a later version of Lightroom (perhaps a trial version), and Lightroom 4 cannot open it.

If it was created by LR 5, you'd need LR 5 or later to open it. Lightroom 4 cannot open it.

If it was created by LR 6 or LR CC, you'd need either one of those to open it. Lightroom 4 cannot open it.

• 2. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
            rachelm7852660 Level 1

So then what do I need to do? Is there anything I can do? The version I downloaded was provided to me through the Adobe chat support. He said I needed to download it and then register my code. Then this happened. :-/

• 3. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
              dj_paige Level 9

What version of Lightroom did you purchase? (and why does Adobe support provide you something to donwload, don't you have your own version of Lightroom that you received when you purchased it?)

Where did this catalog file come from?

There is a way for you to get into Lightroom and open a blank catalog (or other Lightroom 4 catalogs), but it depends on your operating system, and honestly, I don't remember the keystrokes you are supposed to press when you launch Lightroom, you'd have to search the forums or wait until someone else shows up with that specific peice of informatin.

• 4. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
                rachelm7852660 Level 1

I have lightroom 4 and the version the guy had me download was lightroom 4. I have the disc but I do not have a disc drive to activate it that way. After downloading and setting up configurations it asked me about a catalog and then told me that the version was too new. Which is why I am confused because they should be compatible since they are BOTH Lightroom4.

• 5. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
                  dj_paige Level 9

You still haven't said where the catalog came from, how it was created, where it was created ... obviously it was created in Lightroom 5 or Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC.

If you still have the disk, would you please look at it and confirm that it was Lightroom 4? Did you ever, even one time, download and use the trial of newer versions of Lightroom?

Nevertheless, you can open Lightroom as I said:

There is a way for you to get into Lightroom and open a blank catalog (or other Lightroom 4 catalogs), but it depends on your operating system, and honestly, I don't remember the keystrokes you are supposed to press when you launch Lightroom, you'd have to search the forums or wait until someone else shows up with that specific peice of information.

• 6. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
                    rachelm7852660 Level 1

Honestly, I have no clue where the catalog came from or how it was created. I just finished the download and it popped up when I tried to open it.

• 7. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
                      Mel Davis. Level 3

Rachel, it seems you did at some point at least briefly undertake a Lightroom trial, perhaps of Lightroom Creative Cloud, and a catalog file was opened for you. Or was Lightroom CC pre-installed on this new computer? Maybe you never used it, but it was there. Now you don't need to use that catalog file any longer if you've decided to stay with Lightroom 4. In fact as dj is saying, you can't use that file.

BUT... did you copy your LR4 catalog file and images from your old computer to your new computer? You have to do that to use those images in LR4 on your new computer. If you didn't already, copy them from the old computer into a location on your hard drive and pay attention to where it goes. Then start LR4 again and point it to the old catalog location on the new computer. See this FAQ for advice:

Lightroom catalog FAQ

• 8. Re: Cannot open Lightroom 4 "Too new to be used by this version"
                        dj_paige Level 9

Excellent advice, Mel.

Rachel, I think holding down the Ctrl key on Windows (or I think it's the Cmd key on a Mac) while you open Lightroom will allow you to select a different catalog or a new catalog to open.