7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 12:21 PM by A.T. Romano

What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build

genesmachine Level 1

Here is what i have built:

Intel core i5 6600K Skylake Quad Core unlocked

Asus Z170 Delixe Mother board

16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 RAM

Win7 64 Pro

what would be a good graphics card to go with this set up editing using PreEl 10?

Thanks

• 1. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements depends very little on graphics card support. In fact more recent versions of the software include an optimizer that will work even with lower end embedded graphics systems.

In fact, according to this benchmark chart, your system has plenty of power to run Premiere Elements.

Although newer versions of the program will edit AVCHD much more efficiently and newer versions of the program will take advantage of your 64 bit operating system. (Version 10 won't use more than 4 gigs of your RAM.)

• 2. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
            genesmachine Level 1

Thanks Steve... little did i know that about PreEl not using graphics card support. on my older system adding better graphics card sure seemed to help make editing smoother and less stuttery especially when editing multiple camera edits.

I guess i might have to try the newer versions of PreEl but i do like 10 the best so far. i bought 11 but didn't like the way the monitor took some of the tools with it in a second monitor and i had to keep jumping from window to window to edit... i found it not a very good work flow...

ah well, life is full of compromises isn't it?

Gene

• 3. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
              A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

Important. Keep away from NVIDIA GeForce video cards/graphics cards if you are planning on using Premiere Elements 10 on a computer using those cards.

There is a serious Premiere Elements 10/NIVIDIA GeForce issue which forces the user to roll back the driver version to about May 2013. Updating the driver version is not the fix, the roll back to May 2013 is. Please refer to ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE10: NVIDIA Video Card Driver Roll Back

This problem which targets display and other issues for Premiere Elements 10 is not seen if other version of Premiere Elements is used instead of 10.

The perk of Hardware Acceleration with the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher is not seen until Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and 14.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13/13.1: Hardware Acceleration Preference

Also, Premiere Elements 10 is a 64 bit application when run on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 64 bit and consequently can take advantage of installed RAM greater than 4 GM, if you have more than 4 GB RAM installed.  So the generalization that "version 10 won't use more than 4 gigs of your RAM" is not so unless you were not using Window 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit. And, you do say that you are using Windows 7 64 bit. Does your computer motherboard support (have slots for) more than 4 GB RAM modules installed?

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

ATR

Add On...I did not see your most recent post until after I had posted my comments.

• 4. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
                genesmachine Level 1

What a bummer that PreEl 10 has those problems with nvidia cards and also doesn't utilize more of the CPU as well. i do have 16gb of ram in two slots and have two more slots if needed so that helps as i am using a 64 bit win7 OS.

I guess that I'll have to download a trial version of the latest PreEl and see if I can get to like it. Will the latest versions of PreEl utilize a graphics card or does it just use CPU and RAM? I do not have a graphics card in this build yet and am using what is built in to the Asus Z170 deluxe MB for now. I have done a few one camera edits on this rig so far and they have gone well. I don't know what will happen when i try to do multiple camera edits.

• 5. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

Thanks for the follow up.

14 (current version) is like 13 (prior version) with regard to Hardware Acceleration for on the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher card. I have just "Intel HD Graphics" and that does not quality for the perk. Premiere Elements (any version) does not support CUDA. Details are in the blog link that I posted in post 3.

Hardware Acceleration is not offered in 14. It is in 13 where it first appeared.

The 13 and 14 user can get into export issues if that Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher preference is left enabled if the computer is using a card other than that one. This preference is the default, so you will need to make sure of its set in Edit Menu/Preferences/General beforehand. Again, 13 or 14 Windows needs to be running on Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit to be a 64 bit application which can take advantage of your 16 GB installed RAM..in addition,.you should have a lot of virtual memory to go along with that physical memory.

You do not have to uninstall 10 to explore the 14 tryout. Just use one at a time. There is a marked difference in workspaces for 11 and later. You have seen that. But, there is a drastic change in the sharing area in  - called Share in 10, Publish+Share in 11, 12, and 13, Export & Share in 14.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
                    genesmachine Level 1

You say: Hardware acceleration is not offered in 14 but is is 13 ....

what does that mean? With my rig 13 would be better than 14? Which is fine with me if that is the case?

also where are you getting the IntelHD graphics 2000 from? I don't see that on this Z170 deluxe MB.

Thanks

• 7. Re: What is a good graphics card to use with PreEl10 and my new build
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

genesmachine

I did not say

You say: Hardware acceleration is not offered in 14 but is is 13 ....

I wrote

14 (current version) is like 13 (prior version) with regard to Hardware Acceleration for on the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher card.

Oops.

I think I see what you mean - what did get posted in 5...

Hardware Acceleration is not offered in 14. It is in 13 where it first appeared.

What I was writing  but got lost in a typo, was

Hardware Acceleration is not offered in 10. It is in 13 where if first appeared.

I am not a moderator so I cannot go back to post 5 to correct that typing error. I will see if I can find a moderator who will. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

That sentence as it appears in post 5 is not in context with anything written in that post 5 reply.

Not sure what you meant by

also where are you getting the IntelHD graphics 2000 from? I don't see that on this Z170 deluxe MB.

Thanks

It looks like the Asus 170 Deluxe specifications show "Integrated Graphics Processor" = Intel HD Graphics support. I am not sure if Asus would offer you the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher as an alternative for just Intel HD Graphics which will not enable Premiere Elements 13 or 14 Hardware Acceleration option.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-DELUXE/specifications/

Can you get definition from Asus about "Intel HD Graphic support"?

ATR