1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 12:48 AM by Willi Adelberger

Creating textframe from illustrator to indesign

Yohan828

Hello Guys,

I must exactly reproduce textframes of an illustrator document (via a script) on an indesign document. Even though, i have imported all properties from the ai textframes (via an xml file - including, position and size of textframe, font properties, kerning, tracking, leading values) and created exactly the same textframe and put in the same formatted text, the text in the indd textframes isn't always visible in the new textframe.

Example below -

(AI Source Document) :                                                                                                                        (INDD Destination Document) :

aiframe.PNG       inddframe.PNG

The 'BB' is not showing on the indesign document.  The text becomes visible, only when i change the size of the indd textframe, which is bigger than the original size.

inddframe2.PNG

I would be grateful if anyone can help me out.

Thanking you in advance

• 1. Re: Creating textframe from illustrator to indesign
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Illustrator or Photoshop on the one side and InDesign or InCopy on the other side have to complete different text engines which are not compatible to each other. InDesign has a lot more text functionality as Illustrator has and Illustrator allows text without a frame what InDesign is not supporting. So you will not be able to do that.

Another problem is that you focus on Character Properties, but there are more important and influential Paragraph Properties you have to consider.

The closest you come is to use a common library between Illustrator and InDesign. You can place text from one program in a CC Library and use it in most cases in the other application, but even there are a lot of limitations.

If you need objects normally created in Illustrator, you have to save the file as AI or PDF/X-4 and place it (and best way is to link them) in InDesign.