10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 12:58 AM by jwwsmith

Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic

timofej

I'm working with my first photo book using LR6. However, I've run into an issue. When I try to type text on the spine of the cover using cyrillic the letters are rotated vertically like this:

M

y

b

o

o

k

As soon as I switch to latin the text looks correct. It does not matter what font I use. Either font exibits the problem as soon it's switched to cyrillic. It is obviously a bug but I still wonder whether there is a way to go around it.

I've seen that some people had similar issue for older versions of LR. The issue seems have been fixed for latin letters but it is still there for cyrillic.

• 1. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic
          rpandita Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi timofej,

Greetings.

• Try using Arial as a font and share the results with us.
          • If you can also post a screen shot of the book module settings that you have applied, it will help a lot.

Regards

Rohit

• 2. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic
            timofej Level 1

Thank you for your reply Rohit! As I wrote it does not matter what font I use. I have already tried Arial with the same result. I have also tried different cover templates.

Screen shot of what settings are you interested in? I will do it as soon as I come to my computer where the LR is installed.

• 3. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic

Hi timofej,

Thank you for the information.

• It wold help if you post the screen shot of the the Panels from Book module, specifically Text and Type

Book module panels.PNG

Regards

Rohit

• 4. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic
                timofej Level 1

Here it comes, two screenshots both of the problem and of the settings panel.

Skärmavbild 2015-09-30 kl. 18.32.23.png

Skärmavbild 2015-09-30 kl. 18.33.08.png

• 6. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic
                  timofej Level 1

I have deleted the .plist file as described. However, LR never asked me any questions when I started it again. A new com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist file has been created in the Preferences library however.

Everything above didn't change the behaviour. Can you reproduce the problem?

• 7. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic

Hi timofej,

• No i am unable to reproduce the issue on my end.
                    • Can you try uninstalling and reinstalling LR

Regards

Rohit

• 8. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic
                      timofej Level 1

Hi Rohit

Thank you for your reply!

I am so surprised that you cannot reproduce the problem that I doubt that you tried. I've just tried to reproduce it on my colleague's computer with LR CC installed and result is exactly the same. Please follow the steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Open Book module in LR.

2. Click on spine text and start typing. The letters are oriented correctly.

3. Switch to Russian keyboard layout and continue typing. The letters are rotated 90 degrees now.

It does not matter what font and what template you use. So, I don't really know how it is possible not to be able to reproduce the issue.

Since the problem appears on different computer with different version of LR installed I assume that this is a general bug that is not related to particularly my installation. Thus, I don't think it will help to reinstall the LR.

I am pretty sure that this is a bug that we cannot do much about until it is fixed by Adobe. I just wonder whether there is a way to go around it. Is it possible to insert a picture to the spine? Or do something else?

• 9. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic

Hi timofej,

I am getting this checked and will get back to you as soon as possible.

Regards

Rohit

• 10. Re: Text in a book spine is rotated incorrectly when using cyrillic
                          jwwsmith

I think that the text orientation for a text box (spine or otherwise) is a property of cover template format.

Having had the same problem with a '12*12 hardcover jacket' but not with all of the covers (and with none of the suggestions to restart Lightroom etc working), it seemed that the problem must be a property of the template.
                          Looking at the template (located in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Templates\Layout Templates\ on Windows 8.1) and in particular got the '12 * 12 hardcover jacket' (12x12-blurb\portfolio12x12\templatePages.lu) it looks as though text boxes are styled as 'spineText' to indicate that text should be oriented vertically.

A template directory contains a load of preview images (jpg) of each of the page styles within the directory as well as the template definitions - templatePages.lua, which is a structured text file defining the page styles (image/text place holders and size).

At the top-level it defines book dimensions and then a subsections for covers and pages; the covers section has a subsection for each cover style defined by the template, and each of these has some global definitions (such as page ID, title, associated preview image etc) as well as a set of 'children', which are the placeholders. Each child 'placeholderType' is either 'photo' or 'text' and has a height, width, x and y definition.

One of the children of placeholderType 'text' will be for the spine and can be easily identified by having a uniquely large height to width ratio, (also the height value will be almost as large as the page height value (in the template's global definition) and the x value will roughly half the page width value). To get the text to flow vertically down the spine then it should have a 'hint' of style = "spineText".

In my case, I added the 'hints = {...}' three lines to the rest of the child section that was already defined (as below), saved the template restarted Lightroom and reloaded the cover template) by selecting a different template and them the desired one again and was able to flow the spine text as desired.

{

height = 5,

placeholderType = "text",

hints = {

style = "spineText",

},

transform = {

angle = 0,

height = 809.34051513672,

width = 24.414047241211,

x = 1177.580078125,

y = 36.329406738281,