2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 3:29 PM by Tony Heagren

Writing the computer's time in a txt file everytime the user clicks a button

arthurt33783871

Hello everyone,

I'm a research student and I want to run a point&click study when everytime the user clicks a specific button I can have the exactly time (milliseconds) it happened... How can I use actionscript 2 to create a txt file with this data?

Could someone help me please? I think it's not that difficult but I can't figure it out... I use Flash CS6

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Writing the computer's time in a txt file everytime the user clicks a button
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

is this a web-based app that will be running on a server?  does this have to a be a txt file?

if yes and yes, you'll need to use server-side script and this will be more difficult than coding needed if the answer to the 2nd question is no and a sharedobject can be used to store those data.

• 2. Re: Writing the computer's time in a txt file everytime the user clicks a button
            Tony Heagren

I was once in Ireland and I got lost. I stopped by an old stone wall and asked the farmer "How do I get to Dublin"?

He thought of a moment, scratched his beard then said "Well, I wouldn't start from here if I were you".

The moral is, unless you need the special qualities that Flash offers it would probably be a lot easier to do this with a mixture of html and php and,

if you're a student it should be dead easy for you to find a couple of geeks around college who will knock it up for you in minutes.

However.... If you have to use Flash or are just determined to then it's really not that hard and I'll help you do it.

My question is do you want to know (in milliseconds) how long the user waits to click since starting the test / game / experience, or how long between each click,

or something else - what exactly are you trying to measure?

Best wishes

Tony