5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 11:24 AM by A.T. Romano

Using Elements 14 for making 4K videos from an iPhone 6S Plus

fredj14062295

I believe I can create 4K movies in Elements 14 from 4K video clips from my new iPhone 6S Plus.  If this is true then how easy is it to import these video clips to my MAC which Elements 14 would be running on to produce a 4K movie?

• 1. Re: Using Elements 14 for making 4K videos from an iPhone 6S Plus
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Yes. You can edit 4K in Premiere Elements 14 and output a 3840x2160 mp4 from your project.

• 2. Re: Using Elements 14 for making 4K videos from an iPhone 6S Plus
            fredj14062295 Level 1

I appreciate the response.  How do you import the videos clips from the iPhone.  Do you do it through Elements 14 with the iPhone connected to the MAC or do you first import the video clip into the MAC's Photos library (then access the Photos library via Elements 14)?

• 3. Re: Using Elements 14 for making 4K videos from an iPhone 6S Plus
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fredj

Cell phone video is typically recorded with a variable frame rate rather than a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements does not fare well with the variable frame rate. The symptoms range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all into the project. The fix has been to take this video into the free HandBrake program to obtain the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version. Then you take that H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate into Premiere Elements using Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders.

https://handbrake.fr/

What is the frame rate (29.97 fps or other) and video compression (XAVC-S or AVCHD) of this 4K video? Depending on your details, you might want to use the following for your 4K export.

Expert & Share

Devices

Custom

instead of

Expert & Share

Devices

Computer

4K Ultra HD

I am strictly an Elements Windows user. But, I would consider under most circumstances, Premiere Elements 14/Add Media/Video from camera & devices/Video Importer, and then, if problems import the video to the computer and then in Premiere Elements 14 use Add Media/Files and Folders. But, I would probably go the latter route if the video needs to go into HandBrake first for the variable to constant frame rate change.

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Using Elements 14 for making 4K videos from an iPhone 6S Plus
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The best way to get video from your phone is to plug your phone into your computer with a USB cable and then use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Cameras and Devices to open the Video Importer to locate and import your videos.

I show you how to do this is Part 2 of my free 8  part Basic Training tutorial.

*** Premiere Elements Basic Training ***

• 5. Re: Using Elements 14 for making 4K videos from an iPhone 6S Plus
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fredj

Just a just in case mention....

If you do decide HandBrake help with a variable to constant frame rate is not needed in your case and you want to consider the appropriate Add Media choice in Premiere Elements 14, please do not look for just Add Media/From Camera and Devices. There are two them. As I said before, you want the one named Videos from cameras and device. Be careful not to select the one for Photos from cameras and devices. Those options are quite specific in that requirement and do not allow for exceptions.

ATR