5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 8:40 AM by trshaner

embedded watermarks

arielb71474167

Can I embed a watermark in my photograph that will remain invisible in the photo if viewed on my website or Twitter, but which will appear if/when someone downloads my photograph for their own use?

• 1. Re: embedded watermarks
          dj_paige Level 9

No, there is no such thing.

A photo either has the watermark, or it doesn't, it can't change itself when someone downloads it.

• 2. Re: embedded watermarks
            khatwani Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi arielb,

For that you need to make sure that the same image not getting downloaded.

Like you can show images with watermark however the download link that  you are providing to a customer that should be different.

Regards

Jitendra

• 3. Re: embedded watermarks
              arielb71474167 Level 1

Thank you. So you are saying that there is no way for me to hide the watermark when I personally upload it to my website. Not only does it either have one or not, but it is either always visible or  not. Clearly I am a novice and I need expert help.

I don't want every photo I upload to the gallery of my website (which is not a photography site but a general one), to a have a watermark. That is distracting ans seem s like overkill. But I also don't want the public to be able to download/copy my photos and use them as their own. Is there any way to deal with this? 

• 4. Re: embedded watermarks
                dj_paige Level 9

One thing you can do is NOT upload the full size image. If you upload a scaled down version of the image, say 1200 images on the long side, this limits people from printing the photo at a large size ...

but ...

once the photos is on the internet, there is no way to stop people from making a screen capture of your scaled down version of the image and using that for whatever they want.

So, you have to choose between not putting your photos on the internet, or putting them on the internet which possibly allows the scaled down images to be used.

• 5. Re: embedded watermarks
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

arielb71474167 wrote:

So you are saying that there is no way for me to hide the watermark when I personally upload it to my website.

Digimark will do this, but it requires Photoshop and an annual subscription.

Photoshop Help | Digimarc copyright protection