23 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2016 11:06 AM by btempleton1982

Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions

TheDollarBill Level 1

Hi all,

Is anyone using HTML5/CEP Extension as the interface for your SDK plugin?  I am, and I can no longer figure out a way to get my plugin installed on other machines.  I can use the command line signing tool to create a ZXP, but I cannot get the ZXP's to consistently install anymore.  It seems like adobe has done away with all my options (exmancmd, extension manager, etc.), and I wonder if there's a way that y'all are getting your extensions installed. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!

-Bill

• 1. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
          LeoTaro Level 4

Extension Manager is end of life and CC 2015 is no longer supported:

Adobe Exchange

You are now expected to use command line tools to install plugins:

https://www.adobeexchange.com/resources/28

In my testing I have found that you can install extensions using the CC Extension Manager into CC 2015 if you also have a previous version of CC installed. If you only have CC 2015, you don't get any errors or warnings and it looks like the plugin has been installed, but only part of it gets installed.

• 2. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
            TheDollarBill Level 1

I was using the command line to install my extension until recently. It looks like that doesn't even work anymore. And I'm told that the command line tool will no longer be supported either. I have heard there are some third party installers but have also seen mixed results reported from folks who used those. I have not tried them yet. I was just curious if some of the folks in this forum had an alternate method they were using.

• 3. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
              LeoTaro Level 4

Which command line tools are you using? The ones that come with Extension Manager won't work with CC 2105. The ones you download from the link I gave should work, they work for me anyway.

• 4. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                TheDollarBill Level 1

The link you sent references the ExManCmd tool. It used to work for me but all of a sudden (i think after an update?) I get an "error -411" when using the ExManCmd tool to install packages that previously worked fine.  After going back through my emails I just realized that an Adobe employee abbreviated Extension Manager and I took them to mean the command line tools.  I'll try to figure out why I'm getting install errors with the command line tool all of a sudden.

• 5. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                  TheDollarBill Level 1

After uninstalling all of creative cloud and reinstalling everything...

The command line installer (ExManCmd) works on the exact same .zxp package that I was getting the -411 error on before.  I have no idea why... WHAT?!?!?

• 6. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                    LeoTaro Level 4

This page gives the error codes and -411 is "The Add-on installation failed because it is incompatible with installed Adobe applications" if that is any help.

https://helpx.adobe.com/extension-manager/using/extension-manager-error-code-reference.htm l

• 7. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                      TheDollarBill Level 1

Yes. That document can be helpful.  I have noticed that if you still have the old GUI extension manager you can start to match the error codes with the old ExMan error messages. -411 seems to match with "This plug-in requires you to have at least version <x> of <adobe application> installed."

But I don't know why I was getting that error message and then now I'm not when I didn't change my plug-ins NOR did I change my installers.  I simply deleted and reinstalled creative cloud.

• 8. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                        christianbrugeron

Hello

And how do you configure the zxp? do you user MXI files?

Thanks

Christian

• 9. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                          Toto RoToTO Level 3

Hi,

Are you trying to install your extension on Mac or Windows?

Thomas.

• 10. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                            Toto RoToTO Level 3

I had that issue on one of my workstation (Mac).

I had to change the security and privacy settings.

Just allow apps downloaded from 'anywhere'. That will do the magic!

ps; This did not work on all workstations.....

Thomas.

• 11. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                              btempleton1982 Level 2

I've been having all kinds of issues as well. I'm using the ExManCmd tool on Macs. Some workstations it will install everything fine. Some it only installs the panel stuff to the CEP folder, and some workstations it only installs the aip to the plugins folder.

I've been able to change this behavior by messing with the MXI file, but nothing seems to get it to work completely on all workstations.

• 12. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                christianbrugeron Level 1

I have separated installs for the GUI and the aip.

I was  not able (windows 7) to have the two installs working together.

cb

• 13. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                  LeoTaro Level 4

I find that using the ExManCmd command line tools, with all CC versions except the latest (CC 2015.2), it either installs everything or nothing. It installs nothing when ExManCmd doesn't recognise that Illustrator is installed (not shown when you do a -list all). With the latest version (CC 2015.2), if ExManCmd realises that it is installed, it installs the panel part but not the aip plugin on both Mac and Windows.

• 14. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                    btempleton1982 Level 2

I do have CC 2015.2 on my main Mac development workstation, and ExManCmd installs the panel and the aip with no issues.

On another workstation, I uninstalled everything and reinstalled Creative Cloud and then Illustrator, and ExManCmd installs the panel only and not the aip. Another odd thing about that workstation is that all the first party aips are not in the Plugins folder either.

• 15. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                      LeoTaro Level 4

Yes, on Mac, Adobe have decided to hide all the Adobe plugins inside Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.app (Contents/Required/Plug-ins) for CC 2015.2. I can't find any mention of this anywhere in the release notes. Seems like a big change for a dot release to me. Probably part of their ongoing campaign to make plugin developers use Adobe Exchange to distribute their plugins.

• 16. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                        btempleton1982 Level 2

Ok, that's interesting. I see them there.

On my development Mac, I have a folder full of aips still. Maybe they're still there from a previous install.

So, now I wonder if this is just some kind of permissions related issue. I have pretty open permissions on my dev mac, but the rest of the workstations likely do not.

• 17. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                          btempleton1982 Level 2

I did also find this interesting information while searching for an answer:

https://tensai.co.uk/ai/announce.htm

Illustrator CC 2015 Installation issues

• FreeHand Interface plugin works correctly in Illustrator CC 2015 once it has been installed.
                                          • FreeHand Interface plugin cannot be installed if Illustrator CC 2015 is the only Illustrator CC version installed.

We do not currently officially support Illustrator CC 2015 because of the problems involved with installing the plugin. This page gives details of how you can work around these issues if you would like to use the plugin in Illustrator CC 2015. If you choose to follow these instructions you do so at your own risk and we accept no responsibilty for loss of any data. If you are unsure please wait for Adobe to release a version of Illustrator CC 2015 that fixes these issues.The FreeHand Interface plugin is a type of hybrid plugin. This means it is made up of two parts:

1. Creative Suite Extension used for the plugin windows. This can only be installed by the Extension Manager. There is one copy of this shared by all versions of Illustrator CC.
                                          2. Binary plugin that contains the code for opening FreeHand files. This should be installed by the Extension Manager, but can also be installed manually. Each version of Illustrator CC has its own copy of the binary plugin.

If Illustrator CC 2015 is the only CC version installed, the Extension Manager will not install the Creative Suite Extension. This is true of both verions of Illustrator CC 2015 (19.0.0 and 19.0.1). The Extension Manager would also not install the binary plugin for the initial 19.0.0 version of Illustrator CC 2015. The issue with the binary plugin not being installed was fixed with the 19.0.1 update to Illustrator CC 2015, but the Creative Suite extension is still not installed if this is the only CC version installed.

Steps to install the FreeHand interface plugin in Illustrator CC 2015

1. Install at least one other version of Illustrator CC (original CC version or CC 2014) If you have not yet installed CC 2015 and you already have one or more CC versions installed you can choose to keep the previous versions when you install CC 2015 To install previous versions if you only have CC 2105, install from the "Previous versions" in the Creative Cloud application.
                                            2. Ensure you have the latest version of Illustrator CC 2015. Check if there is an update available in the Creative Cloud application Check that all the installed CC versions are listed in the CC Extension Manager "Products" list.
                                            3. If you don't see all the installed versions, you can use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to clean up your CC Extension Manager installation. This is a very powerful tool. Please read the instructions about backing up your data on the web page.
                                            4. Install the plugin using the CC Extension Manager

Manual installation of the binary plugin

If the plugin is shown as installed in the CC Extenion Manager, but you do not see FreeHand listed in the drop down list of file types when opening a file then the binary plugin has not been installed. To install the binary plugin manually in any CC version including Illustartor CC 2015, download the zip files below, unzip and copy the files to the "Plug-ins/Illustrator Formats" folder.

• Download links
                                          • 18. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                            Toto RoToTO Level 3

This is already what I do. But this is not solving the issue.

And what if extensions are not correctly installed? Should I copy my extension manually and bypass the check for extension signature?

I also do not want my users to install plugins manually. (Unzip zxp then copy them to plugins directory).

I would rather build my own installers. Unfortunately.

But still waiting for Adobe to address this issue.

• 19. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                              LeoTaro Level 4

btempleton1982 wrote:

I did also find this interesting information while searching for an answer:

https://tensai.co.uk/ai/announce.htm

Illustrator CC 2015 Installation issues

• FreeHand Interface plugin works correctly in Illustrator CC 2015 once it has been installed.
                                              • FreeHand Interface plugin cannot be installed if Illustrator CC 2015 is the only Illustrator CC version installed.

We do not currently officially support Illustrator CC 2015 because of the problems involved with installing the plugin. This page gives details of how you can work around these issues if you would like to use the plugin in Illustrator CC 2015. If you choose to follow these instructions you do so at your own risk and we accept no responsibilty for loss of any data. If you are unsure please wait for Adobe to release a version of Illustrator CC 2015 that fixes these issues.The FreeHand Interface plugin is a type of hybrid plugin. This means it is made up of two parts:

1. Creative Suite Extension used for the plugin windows. This can only be installed by the Extension Manager. There is one copy of this shared by all versions of Illustrator CC.
                                              2. Binary plugin that contains the code for opening FreeHand files. This should be installed by the Extension Manager, but can also be installed manually. Each version of Illustrator CC has its own copy of the binary plugin.

If Illustrator CC 2015 is the only CC version installed, the Extension Manager will not install the Creative Suite Extension. This is true of both verions of Illustrator CC 2015 (19.0.0 and 19.0.1). The Extension Manager would also not install the binary plugin for the initial 19.0.0 version of Illustrator CC 2015. The issue with the binary plugin not being installed was fixed with the 19.0.1 update to Illustrator CC 2015, but the Creative Suite extension is still not installed if this is the only CC version installed.

This information looks quite old as it is talking about versions 19.0.0 and 19.0.1. It also looks like they gave up waiting for Adobe to fix the issue and wrote their own installers:

https://tensai.co.uk/ai/download.php

Latest Illustrator version that has been tested and is officially supported:

Illustrator CC 2015.2 released November 30 2015.

• 2.3.0 (14 October 2015)
                                                • Option to keep missing fonts.
                                                • Standalone plugin installer.

• 20. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                                westont83885627 Level 1

Can anybody post a working sample for a hybrid plugin? The only sample I can find is off of Davide Barranca's blog from 2014, and it's for Photoshop.

Also, are our customer's expected to use ExManCmd or have people gotten this working through whatever black magic the Creative Cloud app does?

• 21. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                                  LeoTaro Level 4

In theory you should be asking your customers to use the ExManCmd tools, but they don't seem to work correctly with the latest version of Illustrator (CC 2015.2). This means the only viable options are use Adobe Exchange or write your own installers.

• 22. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                                    TheDollarBill Level 1

For the people writing their own installers:

Are you simply having it put the extension files here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CEP\extensions\<extension name>

OR

/Users/danhudson/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CEP/exensions

And then putting the .aip plugin file in the plugins folder?

• 23. Re: Unable to Install Hybrid Extensions
                                                      btempleton1982 Level 2

Yes, but you have to package then unzip the extension files first so they are signed correctly. Unless your users are setting the debug flag.