10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 12:54 PM by Migintosh

Master Page Layering Problem

Nojo509 Level 1

I changed the background image in one of my master pages. The background image is put into my background layer, which is below my main layer. Just two layers, background and main. Everything seems fine with my pages dependent on this master page until:

1. I resize the main text frame on the page. The text vanishes and I have an overset text errror. Even if I make the frame bigger.

2. I add an image (main layer) onto the text, expecting the text to wrap around it. All the text in the frame vanishes and I have an overset.

Editing the text works fine.

If I set the text frame to Ignore Text Wrap, I can resize the frame. Of course, I can't add an image and expect it to wrap.

I don't see anything crazy when I look at the text in the Story Editor.

• 1. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
          Nojo509 Level 1

I tried Override All Master Page items and all my text frames went blank. Yet the background image was on the bottom of the Background layer which is the bottom layer.

When I do the Override All Master Page Items, my images display fine, as does the text that is in a text frame on top of a rectangle.

If I delete the page background image, my text frames all display text.

If I move an image over a text frame while the background image is gone, the text does not vanish, but wraps around the image frame as desired.

If I use Place to put the background image on the page, all the text vanishing/overset problems return. Dragging the background image to the bottom of the layer stacks has zero effect.

• 2. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
            Migintosh Level 4

If you want the image to move text, have text wrap on the image, but if the text is just going to set on top of the image, you probably don't want text wrap on the image.

Also, there is very little advantage to having text frames on the master page. Most of the time, creating text frames on the document pages is better. Can you show us what your pages look like? Take a screen shot and use the camera icon in the forum to upload.

Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 8.10.04 PM.png

• 3. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
              Nojo509 Level 1

Before.jpg

My problem is on my right hand pages, as I changed that background image. Here is the page after the change. Looks good. I just have to move that blaster image up a line...

moved blaster.jpg

And when I move the blaster image, that text column goes into overset madness, even though it has plenty of room. Same thing if I resize the text frame. Or if I Place a new image on the text frame. Goes blank and oversets.

• 4. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                Nojo509 Level 1

Here's another example. Something has changed the way layers work in my document.

Text Frame below rectangle.jpg

Here I've deleted the background image in a vain attempt to get things moving again. I add a blue rectangle and a text frame. The rectangle is at the bottom of the layer, the text frame at the top. Then I move the text frame up so it overlaps the rectangle...

Text Frame getting clipped by rectangle.jpg

And here's the overset. I need to ship this product ASAP, and this is driving me crazy. Thanks for any and all help!

• 5. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

It isa combination of text wrap settings, keep options (probably in the paragraph styles, at least in the paragraph settings) and the Preferences where you can set that wrap is applied only to layers below (a setting I would never recommend as it is only for Quark converted documents useful).

BTW: Why are you not using a single text frame with 3 columns instead of 3 single column text frames? This would not allow to use the span functionality.

• 6. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                    Nojo509 Level 1

I feel so dumb (this is my first real InDesign project). In case anyone else hits this: When you add new images and set the wrapping to anything besides "No Text Wrap," those settings are sticky. So later, if you go and change a background image, the new background image will be set to wrap. Set the background image to "No Text Wrap" and it's all good.

Thank you so much,

John

PS

I set a single text frame with multiple columns in my master pages. Apparently you loose the single frame when they are propagated to the real pages? I was following "Adding Placeholder Text" from "InDesign CC: Classroom in a Book," published by Adobe.

If anyone has suggestions for books that have better best practices, I would appreciate it!

• 7. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Text wrap settings would be stick ONLY if you make them with no object selected (this is how most defaults are set). If you set them with a file open, the affect only that file, if set when no files are open they affect all new files.

• 8. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                        Nojo509 Level 1

Thanks Peter. I found that out with paragraph styles the hard way. At least it's consistent.

• 9. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

For THAT problem you should more observe the OBJECT Styles.

On the master page not text frames should be used except primary text frames, and those for running header and footers and page numbers. All others should be on the page itself.

• 10. Re: Master Page Layering Problem
                            Migintosh Level 4

Nojo509 wrote:

I set a single text frame with multiple columns in my master pages. Apparently you loose the single frame when they are propagated to the real pages?

Not really. Master-page objects (including text frames) are not selectable on document pages unless you release them, at which point they become almost the same as document-page-created objects. The difference is that any parameter of the object that you don't change on the document page will still respond to changes made to the master-page object. For example, if you have a master text frame and you change the size on the document page, then changing the size on the master text frame will only change the size of the released text frames on document pages that have not had their sizes changed.

I think what you are seeing is that text is spilling out of a released master frame and new single-column text frames are being created on the document pages. In order to have overset text release master text frames on subsequent document pages, you have to do it differently. If you have a released master frame that shows overset text, you have to release a new master frame on a new page before you click the out port of the overset frame. If you are placing text into a master frame, you need to hold the Shift key and click directly on the unreleased text frame. With the shift key, the cursor will change from a top-left corner-with-text icon to a top-left-corner-with-curved-arrow icon, meaning it will continue to place after overset is reached. When you are in position over a master frame, the top-left-corner will display as parentheses.