8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2015 9:51 PM by kasra_yousefi

Will removing rejected photos when catalog is offline delete the file when the drive is plugged in again?

kasra_yousefi

Hi There,

Let's say I'm not connected to my lightroom files and just browsing using the catalog offline.

Now imagine I reject and delete a picture, does lightroom delete the actual photo in the photo's folder next time my photos liebrary is online? (or will it just delete the smart preview and thumbnail from library and keeps the source file intact without my knowledge of it's existence?)

Thanks,

K

Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi kasra_yousefi,

When you add a Reject an image, it adds a rejected flag to the image.

Apart from that, there is no change that is made to the image or to the preview.

If you have rejected images offline and then later on you synchronize it, these flags(changes) are synced over to the main catalog on the computer.

For more information, click on the below link

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Work with Lightroom for mobile

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

kasra_yousefi Level 1

Hi Mrinmay,

Thanks for the advice. However, my problem is not about flagging as rejected. My problem is flagging as rejected + delete rejected photos, while the library is offline. I wonder if you delete rejected photos when you are offline, what will happen to them when you re-connect to your library? What I'm afraid is, by deleting when I'm offline, unwanted images will remain in my library without no reference in my catalog.

Is that what will happen?

Thanks,
            K

Photos that are deleted from Lightroom mobile are not deleted from the Lightroom cloud.

You may go ahead and flag them rejected and delete from the mobile device, it will only remove the image from the device.

If you want to remove or delete the image from the catalog after synchronizing, do the following steps:

> Open Lightroom

> Apply filter for rejected images

> Select all the images

> Make a right click (On Mac : CTRL + Click) and click on Remove Photos

> You will get option to remove from the catalog or remove from catalog and hard drive

> Choose the appropriate option

Hope this helps

~Mrinmay

kasra_yousefi Level 1

Ok, we are getting closer to my problem. 1st: My issue has nothing to do with cloud. (perhaps I made you confused by using the terms "offline" and "online". I'm not talking about the cloud. I'm talking about the lightroom feature that let you work on your library without having access to hi-res files. (Smart Previews:Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Smart Previews).

So, your second part of your previous email is more related to my problem. Now, imagine this: If I've rejected AND deleted photos from my library when i'm offline (i.e. detached from my external drive that has the high-res sources), when I connect back, there's probably no image to filter as rejected in the first place, to select and delete. So my question is, what will happen to those photos.

Hope I've explained better this time! Thanks!

K

Thank you for your patience and clarifying your query.

As you said, you have created Smart Preview and disconnected the external hard drive.

Now if you apply the filter for rejected images and try to remove the images, you will be getting the below dialog box.

Remove1.PNG

As you can see, it is saying it will remove the file only from the Lightroom catalog,

As it is unable to find the source location, you won't be provided with any option to remove the images from the computer or external hard drive(in your case).

The files will stay as it is on your external hard drive.

If you wish to delete the original files as well, I would suggest you to connect the external hard drive and then choose Delete from Disk to remove it from the catalog as well as from the external hard drive.

Hope this helps.

~Mrinmay

Bob Somrak Level 5

Why do you have a need to remove/delete from the catalog when you are offline? Just set the reject flag and do your deleting from disk when you are online.  If you don't want to see the rejected photos set the rejected flag FILTER so the photo disappears when you reject.

1 person found this helpful
                      kasra_yousefi Level 1

Thank you very much Mrinmay, very informative.

-K

kasra_yousefi Level 1

Hi Bob,

Sometimes I do it just by mistake, that's why I'm investigating what will happen, and now for me the next step is to read about how to -re-catalog- them so I can delete them this time for real.

Thanks,

K