3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 6:39 AM by dj_paige

LR 6 Corrupt Catalog and then Disappears Once Replaced

Renee536

I keep my catalog and images on an external portable WD drive that I move between two computers, one running Windows 7 and one running Windows 10.  Yesterday I had a corrupt catalog on trying to open LR 6 in the Windows 7 Computer.  So I moved that catalog to a new file I created, Corrupt, and transferred my backup catalog to the normal drive location and used that catalog.  Made changes all day, backing up multiple times and shutting down LR properly.  Took the portable home and connected to home windows 10 computer for online backup.  Today when I went to open LR I was told that catalog cannot be accessed.  Looking at the catalog file it says it's 0 bytes in size.  All my backups from yesterday are not even there--like they never existed.  Is there any way to get the catalog back or do I have to go in and make all my changes from metadata again??  How can I prevent this from happening?  Is there a know issue?

One thing that happens is I often can't safely eject the external drive.  So I have to shut computer down to eject it.  Sometimes it still spins after shut down.  Maybe this is part of the problem...if so how do I solve?  Everything is always closed when I shut down already. 

Or is there an issue bc I am using the catalog on two different O/S (Windows 7 & 10)? 

Please help I am going crazy and so tired of getting error messages! 

Thanks so much!

Jen

• 1. Re: LR 6 Corrupt Catalog and then Disappears Once Replaced
          dj_paige Level 9

Sure seems like a hardware issue with that external drive.

Are your backups also on that external drive, or on some other drive?

You might want to try downloading and installing and running a program called an "undelete utility" which might (or might not) be able to recover some of your catalog files. If you are going to do this, do not perform any other tasks with this external drive except run the "undelete utility" on this external drive, and download and install this program to a different drive (not the external drive).

• 2. Re: LR 6 Corrupt Catalog and then Disappears Once Replaced
            Renee536 Level 1

Thanks, I have done something like this before but only been able to recover files names .chk which I haven't really been able to do anything with....is that all I would get from this as well?  And do you think this could be related to using Windows 7 & 10 with the same external or is that not an issue? These catalog backups were on the same external drive.  I had them there so I could access them from either computer (then I backup online with crash plan).  But now these backups I made yesterday were 'gone' before they could ever back up online.  I'm going to start saving backups to computer hard drive as well as portable.

• 3. Re: LR 6 Corrupt Catalog and then Disappears Once Replaced
              dj_paige Level 9

There's really no way I can tell if Windows itself is a problem, but it sure sounds to me like the disk is having some hardware problems.

It's never a good idea to put backups on the same drive as the original. In fact, stronger words apply ... NEVER put backups on the same drive as the original.