3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2006 6:39 AM by Newsgroup_User

Paint Bucket tool and scanned imges

rogerfowles
      Hi,

Not a problem this apart from my ability to understand how things work! - so sorry if this is a really stupid question - but I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me

If I draw (using old fashioned pen and paper) an line image with a fair amount of detail, scan it and open it in Fireworks, I can use the Paint Bucket tool to fill various parts of the image with different colours (in other words it recognises the boundaries between parts of the drawing.) This suits the way I like to work perfectly

On the other hand, other packages (including FreeHand) don't seem to be able to do this.

Am I missing something - or is there something unique about the way Fireworks works?

Thanks

Roger

• 1. Re: Paint Bucket tool and scanned imges
          Level 7
          Roger,

Once you select the Paint Bucket Tool look in the Properties panel and
          make sure the Fill Selection checkbox is unchecked. Play around with the
          Tolerance setting to get the results you want.

alex

rogerfowles wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > Not a problem this apart from my ability to understand how things work! - so
          > sorry if this is a really stupid question - but I'd be grateful if someone
          > could enlighten me
          >
          > If I draw (using old fashioned pen and paper) an line image with a fair amount
          > of detail, scan it and open it in Fireworks, I can use the Paint Bucket tool to
          > fill various parts of the image with different colours (in other words it
          > recognises the boundaries between parts of the drawing.) This suits the way I
          > like to work perfectly
          >
          > On the other hand, other packages (including FreeHand) don't seem to be able
          > to do this.
          >
          > Am I missing something - or is there something unique about the way Fireworks
          > works?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Roger
          >
          >
          >
          • 2. Re: Paint Bucket tool and scanned imges
            abeall Level 3
            Most raster editing software(PhotoShop, PaintShop, Gimp, etc) will do the same thing--as Alex said the tolerance controls where the flood finds the edges.

FreeHand is a vector application designed for print, so when you import a Bitmap there isn't a lot you can do with it. Illustrator gives you a little more control, but not much. Those applications are designed more to work with vector shapes.
            • 3. Re: Paint Bucket tool and scanned imges
              Level 7
              rogerfowles wrote:
              > Am I missing something - or is there something unique about the way Fireworks
              > works?

Yes, Fireworks is almost unique in that it integrates the kinds of tools
              found in both vector applications like FreeHand and Illustrator as well
              as bitmap editing tools like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Fireworks is
              at its core a vector application but unlike FreeHand or Illustrator it
              can edit image pixels directly as you saw.

--
              Stéphane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com