11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 4:10 PM by oz_photo

LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?

oz_photo Level 1

One quick question I need to export my processed raw files as raw files so my question is this?

If I export my edited raw files and select "Original" will the raw files be my edited raws or the truly original raw files?

Or do I need to select DNG for this?

• 1. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
          dj_paige Level 9

I think when you export as DNG, the edits are embedded into the metadata portion of the DNG file. The actual pixels are not changed because of your edits.

Any time you select to export as "Original", you get the unedited original file.

• 2. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
            oz_photo Level 1

So as DNG they will contain all my edits?

• 3. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
              dj_paige Level 9

They will contain your edits as text embedded into the metadata portion of the file, which certain other Adobe software can make use of and display. The pixels themselves in your photo will not be changed.

• 4. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Two points-

You must "Save metadata to File"   [Menu > Metadata > Save Metadata to File]  or [CTRL+S], before you export the image as "Original Copy".

When you import or open the new file in Lightroom or Photoshop it will appear 'as edited' but not have history available. I believe that only the Adobe programs are capable of displaying it 'as edited' by reading the embedded editing metadata.

Viewed with any other program (eg. Windows File Explorer) you will see it as 'original'  without edits.

• 5. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
                  oz_photo Level 1

Ok a bit confused here, please bear with me...

I need to submit the raw files I edited to another person who wants the edited raw files in case they want to add some more edits in photoshop?

So if I am reading your explanation correctly I do the save metadata step before I export them as original?

Or does the export to DNG contain the edits as well, photoshop will also read the dng files.

Just looking for the least amount of steps?

• 6. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
                    dj_paige Level 9

Saving metadata to file has no effect on your exports.

The exported DNG contains the edits in the XMP portion of the DNG file, and your colleague with Photoshop can use these edits, provided he has a compatible version of Photoshop.

If you want to send the RAW files, you could write the metadata to the file (which in the case of RAW photos creates a sidecar XMP file with the edits), and then instead of doing an Export, you could e-mail or send the original RAW and the sidecar XMP file to your colleague with Photoshop.

• 7. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?

It gets complicated, but here goes my explanation-

You do edits to a DNG raw image in Lightroom, (Example- a sepia monochrome)

You embed your edits by CTRL+S

You Export the DNG to another 'new' DNG file by exporting as "Original Copy"

Scenario-1

If you "open" the new image in Photoshop you will see your image as "a sepia monochrome"- fixed as monochrome!! This is effectively a new 'pixel' derivative that you cannot take back to color.

Scenario-2

If you "open as a Smart Object" in Photoshop you will see your image as "a sepia monochrome"- BUT you can double-click the layer thumbnail to re-open the image in Photoshops ACR. This allows re-editing of the raw image- even returning it to its original color appearance.

If your editor friend has Lightroom, you would be best to Export the image "as a Catalog", they can then use both Lightroom to open the catalog and use Photoshop with much more control over edits.

• 8. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?

dj-paige- I would be interested to hear more of your ideas on this subject.

• 9. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
                          dj_paige Level 9

You're making this too complicated, and the effect of saving metadata via Ctrl-S has no impact on what gets exported.

If you export the RAW as DNG, the edits will be embedded in the XMP portion of the file, whether or not you have done a Ctrl-S.

I can't comment on your Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 because I don't use Photoshop, but it is my understanding that whatever edits were done will show up in Photoshop when you do this, I cannot try it myself.

• 10. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?

Agree- avoid the complications- sorry,

You are correct- Ctrl+S makes no difference done or not- When opened in Photoshop it opens in the ACR dialog window.

Very very strange- my Scenario-1 happened to me earlier with an NEF file before I posted that answer, but now I cannot reproduce the same result!

Anyway back to the OPs original question - Yes, export "Original File" will contain edits for Photoshop, and they remain as 'raw' files.

DNGs are self contained (one file).  CR2 & NEF (any proprietary raw) files will need the sidecar XML file to accompany.

• 11. Re: LR 6.1.1 Export Raw Contain Edits?
                              oz_photo Level 1

Great so it looks like a DNG export it is as it contains all the edits, makes it much easier.