9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 11:29 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS6 crashes on loading

MikeFJacobs

I will try this for the 4 time I guess?????????????

My InDesign, when I double click on a file icon, crashes on loading.  I have to wait until it goes through some things and then double click again!

Thanks . . . Mike

• 1. Re: InDesign PS6.5 crashes on loading
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

We need more system information from you. Operating system? There is no InDesign version called PS6.5. I could make a guess but please let us know your correct version so we can help. I also don't know what you mean by "try this for the 4 time I guess?"  Has InDesign ever run for you? If so, what changed?

• 2. Re: InDesign PS6.5 crashes on loading
            MikeFJacobs Level 1

Steve . . . My Operating system is Windows 7 on a PC.

My apologies on the version mistake.  It is InDesign CS6 (version 8.1) (I thought it was upgraded to 6.5 at one time but maybe not).

Has it ever worked? Oh, yes for quite years and years and years it worked . . . all of the versions I had before CS6 worked just fine for me . . . and CS6 worked for a long, long time.  I go all the way back to the Adobe program called “Pagemaker” (I used Pagemaker for 2-3 years) and then got the first version of InDesign way back then (early 1991-92-93???) and have been using InDesign ever since.  Then one day, maybe 2-2+ years ago it started crashing when I tried to open an InDesign file by double-clicking on the file icon.  To my knowledge there was no change in the program to cause the crashing.  I began looking for solutions by going to the Adobe InDesign FORUM and followed the advice given but it never worked for more than a day and then it reverted back to not loading (crashing on double-clicking).

The “4 times” I referred to was the 2 times I went to and followed the FORUM’s advice and the 2 times an Adobe tech guy took over control of my computer and tried to fix it and the fix didn’t work!  This was all over the last 2 years or so.

What “set” me off this time was an InDesign update 4-5-6 days ago and I thought Adobe might have fixed/addressed the problem but it did not address the problem.

Mike Jacobs

• 3. Re: InDesign PS6.5 crashes on loading
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign CS6 hasn't been updated. I'm not sure what update you're referring to. The software is now 3-1/2 years old and won't be updated.

Have you ever tried uninstalling and reinstalling from your original disc?

Have you ever tried running from a new user on your computer?

• 4. Re: InDesign PS6.5 crashes on loading
                MikeFJacobs Level 1

Sir . . . about 4-5-6 days ago my Adobe Program Manager (whatever you call that update program/thing) was alerted that there was an update/change of some sort.  I opened the Adobe Program Manager and it CLEARLY showed an InDesign “update” of some sort . . . maybe I am using the wrong language . . . but that is what happened . . . I instructed it to update it . . . it did.  It was InDesign . . . or there are ghosts at work and I am older than I think!!!!!!!!!

Mike Jacobs

• 5. Re: InDesign PS6.5 crashes on loading
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try resetting the preferences. See Replace Your Preferences.

If you find the InDesign.exe file in Program Files (or Program files (x86)) and right click, then choose Properties.. and the Details tab, what is the version number listed?

What is the last message that appears in the scroll at the bottom of the splash screen when the program tries to load?

• 6. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes on loading
                    MikeFJacobs Level 1

Guys . . . I tried what Peter says to do maybe 2+ years ago.  It worked then for maybe 2 days and then reverted back to crashing.

It didn’t take that long today.  I changed the preferences again today and it took on the first InDesign file I double-clicked on just fine, then I tried a second different InDesign file and it crashed.

I am at a loss as to why Adobe can’t/doesn’t fix this.  Is it because Adobe wants everyone to go to the Cloud . . . it’s not happening here?  I have been a 100% Adobe customer for many many many years and now they are just leaving me high and dry.

I really don’t want to be rude but I would like this taken care of if at all possible.

By the way . . . I may not be as good as you two folks with Adobe stuff and computers but I am no slouch with Adobe stuff and computers.  1990 – 2008 I used Pagemaker/InDesign and Photoshop virtually every day.  I don’t want to overestimate my knowledge but I am a good “user”.

I am sorry to be a pest.

Thank you!

Mike Jacobs

• 7. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes on loading

Most likely a conflict with other software. Two diagnostic tests: Run in Safe Mode and run in a new windows user account and let us know if either works.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes on loading
                        MikeFJacobs Level 1

Peter . . . thank you for staying with me!

One worked and one didn’t.

1)    The safe mode allowed me to open anything from InDesign without problems by double-clicking on the file icon.

2)    The “new Windows User Account” did not work.  I transferred 2 InDesign files to the new user account desktop . . . the first one opened correctly and the second did not!

By the way . . . if I want to open an InDesign file now . . . before I started talking with you . . . I would go to the Start Menu and start InDesign without a file and open InDesign, without a file, and then double-click on an InDesign file it ALWAYS opened.  I don’t know if that helps at all?

Mike

<http://tbas1.com/> Tampa Bay Aquarium Society

<http://southernapistos.com/> Southern Apistos

<http://sks.aka.org/> Suncoast Killifish Society

<http://coastalaquariumsociety.com/> Coastal Aquarium Society

<http://aka.org/affiliates/affiliates/> AKA Affiliate Clubs

"Baseball is 90% mental -

the other half is physical"

"I usually take a 2 hour nap,

from 1 o'clock to 4 o'clock"

"He hits from both sides of

the plate. He's amphibious"

"I didn't really say everything

I said" . . . Yogi Berra

• 9. Re: InDesign CS6 crashes on loading

OK, that confirms that the problem is something that's running in the background.

You may be able to find it pretty easily by running MSConfig and turning off half of the startup programs, then retesting. If it works, the problem is in the group you turned off and you can turn half of them back on again and retest. If it fails, the problem is probably in the group still active, so turn off half of them, and so forth. You can d the same with services (hide all Microsoft services first).