12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2016 5:23 AM by Steve Grisetti

Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating

-Read https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1968369

• 1. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
          A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

How much relevance does this have to the Premiere Elements Mac user (14 in particular)? According to the Premiere Elements 14 Mac System Requirements, System Requirements for 14 Mac extend to OSX 10.9 or 10.10, and here you are talking 10.11.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

ATR

• 2. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating

I thought it was clear that this is a WARNING to NOT UPGRADE to Mac 10.11

• 3. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
              A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Since you posted the message in the Premiere Elements Forum, it was assumed that you intended the message for Premiere Elements 14 users with thoughts of upgrading Mac OSX to 10.11.

There is a difference between non support for Premiere Elements 14 and a new Mac operating system that is unstable for Audition and some other applications, Premiere Elements not being one of the affected applications mentioned yet.

At this point, we do not know that Premiere Elements 14 is or is not supported by 10.11 (assumed at some time in a user usable state) because

a. it is really not supported by 10.11 as the current Premiere Elements 14 System Requirement imply

or

b. Adobe has yet to confirm with actual testing whether or not Premiere Elements 14 is supposed to and does work with 10.11.

The trend lately seems to be for Adobe et al to give blanket non support comments about programs and operating systems based on non testing and reading a script. This was the case in a recent thread here where a user choose to believe Adobe/s and other's "non support label" explanation for problems with Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 10. Easy way out but not the answer.

ATR

• 4. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating

Very well, since you seem to think that Premiere Elements is unique and warnings for other Adobe programs do not apply here, I will stop offering any advice in this forum

• 5. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

John T Smith

Your advice and cautions are very welcomed and wanted. But, I would suggest that clarification in this case is also important for the specific reasons and specific situations cited in post 3 of this thread.

I hope you will re-read what I wrote in that context.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Let's keep it civil here, guys.

I don't believe John needs to justify why he's posted something to the forum, ATR. Not unless it's detrimental to the forum.

This is a community. Everyone has equal access to it.

• 7. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

There is nothing uncivil in the conversation between John and I. My explanation to him (I consider him a friend and he knows that) should be clear to him and others, both of us wanting to be of maximum assistance to those we seek to help. Lack of clarification is detrimental anywhere.

Suggesting otherwise is unwarranted and not founded on what is written (see post 3).

ATR

• 8. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

John T. Smith

Interesting information to contribute on the Mac OSX 10.11 Upgrade as it relates to Premiere Elements.

The ID mpatka has had a thread running on the topic of Timeline Scrolling and Premiere Elements 13. Just now mpatka has updated the thread

Re: Scrolling directions inconsistent on OSX Yosemite (PrE 13)

to report that the Timeline Scrolling issue is not present with Premiere Elements 14 on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan.

As I pointed out in post 3, Premiere Elements 14 Mac System Requirements give Mac OSX 10.9 or 10.10. So very interesting information to have at this time that a Premiere Elements 14 user is actually using 14 with this new Mac operating system apparently without issue.

Thanks to your thread which focused on Mac OSX 10.11 in general and our discussions, I think that the experience has prepared us all to answer the inevitable questions that are sure to come "Does Premiere Elements 14 work on MacOSX 10.11 El Capitan.

In mpatka thread, I will ask this user to visit your thread with first hand information on experiences with Premiere Elements 14 and Mac OSX 10.11.

Thanks for bringing up the matter of the Mac OSX 10.11 Update for the Mac computer operating system.

ATR

• 9. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                          mpalka Level 1

As AT Romano mentioned I am already on El Capitan with both PrE13 and 14 installed. So far I was not able to perform any extensive testing. I only loaded a project created on PrE13 into PrE14 and tried if it renders. It rendered just fine. I am able to navigate through the application user interface without major problems so far. I will try to do some more testing over the coming weekend. If there's anything in particular you want to have tested please let me know.

• 10. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

mpalka

Thank you very much for taking the time to share valuable comments on your use of Premiere Elements 13 and 14 Mac on the new Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan.

This sharing will be a major contribution for the questions that are sure to get posted on Premiere Elements Mac and Mac OSX 10.11.

Your follow up is appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                              golfstrom

Well, I am a Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac user (with El Capitan 10.11.3) and I think it was very relevant to post a warning here.

I can't add any stills to my projects because Premiere can't see any of my storage devices.

I tried every work around I found on the Internet and nothing works.

Oh, did I mention that I switched to Premiere Elements because I had the same problem with iMovie 9 after upgrading to El Capitan?

I can add stills in iMovie 10, which is a much inferior version of the software compared to iMovie 9.

This is frustrating beyond belief.

• 12. Re: Mac 10.11 WARNING - You may want to hold off on updating
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have your resized your photos to no larger than 2000x1500 pixels at 72 ppi?

From your post, it appears your issues are most likely not related to the original poster's. Were you able to use Premiere Elements in the past? It sounds like maybe you just need some advice on using the program.

If you'll start your own thread, we'll be glad to show you the basics and help you through your issues.

Meantime, resize your photos and see if you're then able to use Add Media/From Files and Folders to add the photos to your project.