6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 5:28 AM by dj_paige

Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!

johnk51194552

So I meant to move Lightroom photos from my "Previous Import" into a new designated subfolder. There were only about 24 files in my "Previous Import" but when I came back to Lightroom, it said that I had moved 2763 files! Lightroom crashed on me at this point, so I couldn't undo anything. What I think happened was I perhaps went to "All Photographs" instead of "Previous Import" and selected all before dragging them to the new subfolder. I'm still not sure. But my problem is, when I shut down and reopened Lightroom, it didn't give me the option to undo whatever I did. Is there some way to move the photos in the new subfolder to the respective subfolders they were last in? The 2763 photos were all organized into dozens of other subfolders. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me with a solution. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!
          Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi johnk,

When the Images moved within the Lightroom in sub-folders, it also move the images on the disk as well, you can check that using Finder(Mac) or Explorer (Windows).

If you have not done much editing then you can remove the images from Lightroom and re-import the images from the new location.

Else, you can change the actual location for the image on the disk and then update the image location in Lightroom Catalog. Refer: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Help | Locate missing photos

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 2. Re: Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!
            johnk51194552 Level 1

That's a bit confusing for me to understand. So I should select all the images in the current subfolder and remove them. And then just reimport them, and they'll be returned to their respective subfolders?

• 3. Re: Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!
              johnk51194552 Level 1

That's a bit confusing for me to understand. So I should select all the images in the current subfolder and remove them. And then just reimport them, and they'll be returned to their respective subfolders?

• 4. Re: Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!
                Mohit Goyal Adobe Employee (Admin)

No, when the images moved to the different folder in Lightroom, it has also changed the actual location for the Images on your system.

You can check that by going to Image location on your system.

So, either you can change the image location for the images on your system first where it was before and then update the same location in Lightroom.

And, if its too confusing then just correct the image location on your system that where you want to keep the images on your computer and then create a new catalog and re-import.

Regards,

~Mohit

• 5. Re: Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!
                  wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Some of my thoughts-

Creating a new catalog will lose ALL your work- key-wording, editing, books, slide-shows, etc. Nearly always a bad move!

Getting your images back to their original locations in sub-folders will also be a tedious manual job, by any method.

If it were my problem, I would use the Lightroom filter to search for images by 'Year' and move them (using Lightroom folder panel) to 'Year' folders,

then filter each year into 'Months' and move images to 'Months' sub-folders.

Eventually you will have a 'new' folder system of Years and Month sub-folders, and retain ALL you editing work.

If you have your images in a back-up that has your 'old' sub-folder structure AND a recent Catalog Back-up with the 'old' folder structure, you can restore both to be almost back to where you were before the mistake!

• 6. Re: Accidentally Moved "All Photographs" to One Subfolder!
                    dj_paige Level 9

If it were my problem, I would abandon the idea of using folders as your organizing tool and apply keywords and other metadata as your ways to organize and search. This is a much more powerful method of organizing, as it allows photos to be organized into multiple keywords, whereas if you use folders, a photo can only be in a single folder.

But if you absolutely must have the ability to search by capture date, there is no need to do the work to move photos into specific folders for this purpose. A much simpler approach, one that involves much less effort, is to use the Filter Bar to find photos taken in a given year, or in a given year/month, or in a given year/month/day, or combinations of months, or combinations of days.