9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 10:04 AM by A.T. Romano

WMV file losing frames

jeffgrau

I loaded WMV files that work great in Windows Movie Maker. But the same files in Premier 14 are frequently freezing on a frame and throwing away many following frames. The audio is fine and in sync with the frames that are shown. These are currently the only files in my project and therefore the first files loaded. I am new to Adobe Premier so I assume I did something wrong. But what???????? This seems so basic.

• 1. Re: WMV file losing frames
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jeffgrau

What computer operating system is involved with your Premiere Elements 14 issue?

What is the origin and properties of these .wmv files?

The project is designed to set the project preset automatically to match the properties of the source media based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the project Expert workspace Timeline.

Please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

With this information, we should be able to see if there is a correct match between project settings and source media.

When you first drag your files to the Timeline, is there no colored line or orange line over them?

Do you have a NTSC project and NTSC files going into that project with an intended NTSC export.

Any mismatches between PAL files and NTSC project or the reverse?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply. Lots more to go but we need the above to build on.

Any questions or need clarification on anything written above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: WMV file losing frames
            jeffgrau Level 1

Editing mode: Sony XD CAM EX 720p

Timebase: 30 frames/second

Pixel aspect ratio: Square Pixel 1.0

Framesize: 640 x 480

Lines over clip are yellow when dragged to timeline

Have no idea what NTSC files are, but this problem happens in timeline rendering and also on export.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3. Re: WMV file losing frames
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

For now, think of NTSC as files with frame rate of 29.97/30 interlaced or progressive or p60 and PAl as those files with frame rate 25 interlaced or progressive or p50. WHAT IS NTSC AND PAL STANDARD?

Right now you have a project set for 640 x 480 (4:3) at 30 frames per second. Now we need to determine if that matches the properties of those wmv files and you imported into that project's Timeline.

Render.JPG

Please refer to the screenshot and the orange line being pointed to above the Timeline content. When you drag the first file to the new project's Timeline, does that line present with no color or orange as shown in the screenshot? The above screenshot was done with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 but the principle of the line remains the same in 14.

Important that we get the properties of the wmv files.

I will be calling it a day in a few minutes and will revisit your thread in the morning morning to be looking for more information so that we can resolve your issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: WMV file losing frames
                jeffgrau Level 1

Thanks for the quick responses.

I opened a new project just to make sure. There is NO orange line.

Jeff

• 5. Re: WMV file losing frames
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Thanks for the follow up and the good troubleshooting information.

The fact that you do not see an orange line over the first file dragged to the Timeline suggests that the project settings are correct as represented in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

Therefore...we are starting with a 640 x 480 @ 30 progressive frames per second file with a .wmv file extension.

By the way, when you opened the new project to verify no colored line or orange line over the Timeline content, did you  have the same issues as the original project? Assuming yes....

Let us get at the rest of the properties of the .wmv....

a. What device recorded it?

b. What were the settings of the recording device for video and audio compression? Was the video recorded with a variable rather than constant bitrate?

A lot of these question should be answer by downloading and installing the free video audio properties readout program named MediaInfo (looking at its Tree View). Keys to look for

a. Video frame rate - 3 entries (minimum frame rate, frame rate, maximum frame rate) or 1 frame rate

b. Video compression

c. Audio compression

Let us see if the above gets us to the solution now that we are more confident of the project settings.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: WMV file losing frames
                    jeffgrau Level 1

ATR,

Here is the info on the file. Yes it had the same behavior in the new project.

Thanks,

Jeff

General
                    Complete name                            : C:\Users\jeffgrau\Videos\AFFEERCE\Introduction To AFFEERCE\Initial Conversation\PROF-Chester you are a cynical old ****.wmv
                    Format                                   : Windows Media
                    File size                                : 33.2 MiB
                    Duration                                 : 1mn 9s
                    Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
                    Overall bit rate                         : 3 992 Kbps
                    Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 4 102 Kbps
                    Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-10-02 03:30:08.769
                    MediaFoundationVersion                   : 2.112

Video
                    ID                                       : 2
                    Format                                   : VC-1
                    Codec ID                                 : WMV3
                    Codec ID/Info                            : Windows Media Video 9
                    Codec ID/Hint                            : WMV3
                    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
                    Bit rate                                 : 3 891 Kbps
                    Width                                    : 640 pixels
                    Height                                   : 480 pixels
                    Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
                    Frame rate mode                          : Variable
                    Nominal frame rate                       : 30.000 fps
                    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
                    Compression mode                         : Lossy
                    Language                                 : English (US)
                    NumberOfFrames                           : 2029

Audio
                    ID                                       : 1
                    Format                                   : WMA
                    Format version                           : Version 2
                    Codec ID                                 : 161
                    Codec ID/Info                            : Windows Media Audio
                    Duration                                 : 1mn 9s
                    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
                    Bit rate                                 : 192 Kbps
                    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
                    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
                    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
                    Stream size                              : 1.60 MiB (5%)
                    Language                                 : English (US)

• 7. Re: WMV file losing frames
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Thanks for the very helpful troubleshooting information.

In the properties readout, one property flares out, that is, the video "frame rate mode = variable". Premiere Elements (many versions) does not fare well with video recorded with a variable frame rate. The typical remedy is to take the file into the free HandBrake program to get the H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate version and then import that into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders.

In the Video Tab section of HandBrake, be sure to set the frame rate to the value 30 and dot the constant.

If you need how to with HandBrake for this purpose, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will post screenshots if necessary. It is quick, easy, and effective.

https://handbrake.fr/

Please update me on your progress as your schedule permits. Any questions or need clarification on this, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...I need to get more information on my side about wmv3 video codec....the HandBrake conversion with take care of the video compression as well as the variable frame rate issue....let us see how that turns out while I think out the differences between video codec wmv, wmv1, et al.

• 8. Re: WMV file losing frames
                        jeffgrau Level 1

Thanks

Just running the files through Handbrake did the trick. The problem is gone.

Jeff

• 9. Re: WMV file losing frames
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Jeff

Great news. Thanks for the follow through on the troubleshooting suggestions. Great job.

I can dig out the details, but, as I recall, HandBrake should be able to do batch conversion if needed.

Best wishes moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Please let us know if and when you have questions with these workflows.

ATR