7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2015 3:29 PM by Kremlin2

stalls on opening does not open catalog

Kremlin2 Level 1

LIghtroom 6 opens page but stalls and does not open catalog.

Has worked fine for months before.   PC Windows 8.1. Nothing new added prior to problem.

• 1. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

LR by default always opens a catalog. Even if it can't read the catalog you were using it creates a New Blank Catalog when it opens. Go to File>Open Catalog or File>Open Recent and see where it takes you, Open Catalog will open a Windows/File Explorer window, and or what is listed, under Open Recent.

Could be your system crashed and or LR crashed without you realizing it and your original catalog got corrupted in some way.

• 2. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
            sarsaxen Adobe Employee (Admin)

Hi Kremlin2,

Would you please try to launch Lightroom while holding the alt key that will give you an option to select the correct catalog:

cata.png

Regards

Sarika

• 3. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
              Kremlin2 Level 1

When I open light room I was unable to go to file / etc since the busy circle icon would not go away and the screen was stalled. No action could be taken.

then I read an article that said to go to preferences and try deleting this file.  Which I did. This didn’t help so I returned the files from the recycle bin which in turn created duplicate files ( I don’t know why that happened).

Now when I open Lightroom it says light room will create a new file, upgrade and be using six.  The only Catalog option that shows up is 5.  I tried going to explorer and using a back up catalog file and that didn’t work.  After checking the upgrade box, the new initial screen file from Lightroom 5 along with  splash screen from lightroom 6 but the stalling circle icon will not activate the splash screen of 6.  I am not too bad a trouble shooting but this is getting discouraging.

thank you for your previous help.  I wish it had worked.

Sharon

• 4. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Search your hard drive, or drives if you have more than one, for .(DOT)lrcat (That's a lower case L not an i).

You got 2 Preferences files because every time you start LR if it doesn't find a Preferences file it Recreate it in the same location. you then Restored the one you deleted giving you 2 Preference files. No big deal as LR will use the newly created file.

• 5. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
                  Kremlin2 Level 1

I searched and found the Lightroom 6 catalog.  Then clicked on the adobe lightroom icon. Cho

se the Lightroom folder in the pop up screen.  Lightroom opened with the catalog but Library not responding, splash screen still on top of opening page and busy circle still busy.

• 6. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
                    Kremlin2 Level 1

Thank you again for your previous response.  I followed your steps and found the catalog for 6,  Lightroom does open with the file menu screen, and 6 splash screen but with the first click of the mouse on the screen immediately the Lightroom message not responding appears along with the circle busy icon. should I just delete lighroom 6 and reinstall? Will this be a problem for my catalog and collections?

I am out of ideas to get Lightroom 6 open.  The prior Lightroom 5 opens fine.

Sharon

• 7. Re: stalls on opening does not open catalog
                      Kremlin2 Level 1

thank you for the information on the preference file, I ended up uninstalling lightroom and reinstalling.  That solved the problem.