4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2015 7:52 AM by irinam96775328

AfterEffects .gif really huge size needs compressing (help??)

irinam96775328 Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with exporting a .gif out of AfterEffects. The size is 468x60px and has less then a minute. I used AE to compile the short video, had the fps down to 16, lossy quality yet still the .gif is 20.1MB. Is there any way exporting it a smaller size, let's say 6MB? I tried different settings in AE, online converters, offline converters, Photoshop, Media Encoder, NOTHING will compress this enough without stripping all it's quality.

I also tried removing more frames by importing it in photoshop and deleting one frame every 3 frames. When I exported (save for web etc.) the animation kept flashing like it was skipping a frame and it was still the same length.

I'm going mad trying everything to bring this file size down. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: AfterEffects .gif really huge size needs compressing (help??)
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You told us you are using a .gif file in After Effects.  You didn't tell us what kind of file you're rendering out of After Effects.  It's important.

• 2. Re: AfterEffects .gif really huge size needs compressing (help??)
            irinam96775328 Level 1

Sorry, I rendered it as a .mov. and also tried exporting is using Media Encoder but couldn't find .gif in the export options. I rendered it also with the default settings and also with Draft settings and lossless mode. I have several versions of the same thing. I also exported it as Photoshop layers at one point.

• 3. Re: AfterEffects .gif really huge size needs compressing (help??)
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, 16 fps is a very high frame rate for a gif. Second, the default uncompressed file from the default Output Module settings is going to be huge. Third, if you want to deliver a gif what you need to do is load your rendered uncompressed movie into Photoshop and then delete every single frame/layer in the movie that is not needed, adjust the timing of each individual frame and then export your animated gif from Photoshop. That's the only way to maintain quality.

For example, you are designing a ad banner that shows a product and a logo for 4 seconds and then the product zooms off screen and another product comes on along with a new tag line and holds for 4 seconds and then moves off and repeats. You set up layer 1 in photoshop with a duration of 4 seconds, then use the next 5 frames to do the transition giving each frame a duration of .1 seconds, then you hold the next layer/frame for 4 seconds, then use the next 5 frames to do the transition back to the first frame. This means there are only 12 frames in your animation, the first and sixth frame are 4 seconds, the other 10 are .1 seconds. That's how you get an efficient gif animation. You can't do it in AE directly.

If you are trying to do something else let us know.

• 4. Re: AfterEffects .gif really huge size needs compressing (help??)
                irinam96775328 Level 1

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for your reply, this was really great advice, I haven't compromised on quality and the animation still runs smoothly. I'm really pleased with how it turned out!