3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2006 5:04 PM by James Newton, ACP

different clients => different views

Chris-K Level 1
      I am programming a "space capsule" flight. On one computer I show the instrument panel and have a joystick attached allowing for pitching, yawing and rolling motions of the capsule. On the other computer (hopefully with two monitors) shows a view "down" (ie earth) and a view "up" (ie sky). As the main computer pitches nose down the views should also move until the pitch is 180 degrees (upsidedown) and the view reverse.

Any way to do this????????
        • 1. Re: different clients => different views
          James Newton, ACP Level 3
          First you need to work out how you would do this in a single-player movie. You could have a handler that accepts a rotation vector, and which sets the camera positions in two separate sprites.

Once you can do that, then you need to send the rotation data from one movie to another and use that data to call your handler.

Break your overall idea down into a series of smaller steps, where each step is something that you know how to do. You might even like to create a mini-movie for each step, and only start to build your final movies once you have solved each of the intermediate problems.
          • 2. Re: different clients => different views
            Chris-K Level 1
            "You could have a handler that accepts a rotation vector, and which sets the camera positions in two separate sprites"

I know how to put the "world" on the stage and link its movement with a joystick (inverse, as the space capsule moves clockwise the world moves counterc.). But where do I find .out about setting camera positions of sprites and how is this linked to two separate video monitors. I thought about making one very lomg stage, making the far left "up" , middle not seen, and far right "down" now how do I put that on two monitor screens?

"Once you can do that, then you need to send the rotation data from one movie to another and use that data to call your handler."
            How do I send coordinates from one movie on one computer to another movie on another computer???
            I understand the first part, but how
            • 3. Re: different clients => different views
              James Newton, ACP Level 3
              Here's a tutorial that explains how to create different cameras in different sprites, all looking into the same world: http://director-online.com/buildArticle.php?id=1140

Here's a link to a download which will get you started with using the Multiuser server: http://nonlinear.openspark.com/book/