5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2015 5:49 PM by carogray3015

lightroom catalog backups.. can anyone help?

carogray3015

Hi - can anyone help.. I have my lightroom catalogues and photos on a external hard drive - but having a hard time backing these up when I exit - one got corrupted so I opened a backup catalogue - but the  space on my computer is obviously too small  - as it seems to have a very hard time backing up and quits before completing ... so I got a new computer and put my external hard drive into the new computer but now none of my backups will open I get the words."Lightroom quite unexpectedly.. click reopen to open the application again... but when I do (with all of my backups catalogues) I get this message - can anyone help..? 

• 1. Re: lightroom catalog backups.. can anyone help?
          Mrinmay Majhi Adobe Employee

Hi carogray,

Please create a new catalog on the new computer.

To do so : > Press and Hold Alt (in Windows) / Option (in Mac) and then launch Lightroom

> Click on create a new catalog

Once done, try the below steps.

> Click on File > Import from Another Catalog

> Navigate to the backup catalog and try to import

> Check if you are able to import the images and edits from the backup catalog

Let me know if this helps.

~Mrinmay

• 2. Re: lightroom catalog backups.. can anyone help?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

What version of Lightroom are you using?

Mac or Windows?  What version?

How big are the backups in megabytes?

• 3. Re: lightroom catalog backups.. can anyone help?
              carogray3015 Level 1

Hi Mrinmay, thanks for trying to help and answering..

No what happens is I hold the option key down and press file..and then try

and launch the lightroom backup catalogue.. (which is on my external hard

drive) which is the last one that opened for me but the same answer comes

up.. should I just move over  the backup catalogue - to the new computer as

it is on my toshiba external hard drive now and then try?

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Mrinmay Majhi <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: lightroom catalog backups.. can anyone help?
                carogray3015 Level 1

Hi Mrinmay, the plot thickens.. I managed to open my Lightroom backup

catalogue on my external hard drive using my old computer... it has not

saved my latest updates but not too bad at least I have work up to a few

weeks ago.. but as you know I am changing to a new computer as there is not

enough room as it won't back up..  but now when I plug in my external hard

drive to my new computer and try to open it from the external hard erie the

catalogue has changed to the same lightroom 5 cat irc at.. but it has exec

written on the top left,and when I try and open it still comes up with the

same message "Lightroom quit unexpectedly.. send to report to apple" ect..

when I press file it does have a option

"compress "Lightroom 5 cat.ircat.. ect.. " should I do this..?

Thanks again for your help..

Maybe there is something I don't have on the new computer to open the

catalogue which I need to download?

Caroline

• 5. Re: lightroom catalog backups.. can anyone help?
                  carogray3015 Level 1

Hi ... I am using Lightroom 5 ...

i have a mac

and I cant see how big the lightroom catalogue is - as when I try to open it it comes up with exec .... when I try to find the catalogue it won't open so I cant see how big it is. it will open on my old computer but will only open the backup file not the lightroom 5 catalogue itself..