4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2015 1:18 PM by A.T. Romano

Still Image Duration

Bill McMurry

In Premiere Elements 14, I can't change image duration longer than 3 seconds.  The default image duration is set at 150.  I have changed it to 180 and even 360 but when I add a photo, they all run for 3 seconds no matter what the duration is set at.

• 1. Re: Still Image Duration
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill McMurry

Premiere Elements 14 on what computer operating system?

Are you in a NTSC or PAL set up? What is the format of these photos and what are their pixel dimensions?

For now assuming Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit and NTSC setup.

If you are in a NTSC set up, the Edit Menu/Preferences/General Still Image Default Duration = 150 frames (counterpart of 5 seconds).

Any photo imported after, not before, that setting will have the 5 second duration. If you wanted, Still Image Default Duration of 3 seconds, then you set the preference to 90 frames. Have you been there and done that?

Let us say that preference is set at 150 frames before the photo

If you drag the photo to the Expert workspace Timeline, right click the file there, and select Clip/TIme Stretch, what is the Time Stretch dialog's duration reading...00;00;05;00 (5 seconds) or something else? That reading is hours;minutes; seconds;frames. Can you change the file's duration in Time Stretch after its import  - instead of 00;00;03;00, type in 00;00;05:00 for 5 seconds.

If you cannot set preference before import, then delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. In Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 64 bit,

Local Disk C

User

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 14.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Let us see if we can put all of the above together to enable you to obtain the photo duration that you seek. Any, clarification need, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Still Image Duration
            Bill McMurry Level 1

Windows 8.1 64 Bit, NTSC, AVCHD, 1080 60p, stills at 2000 x 1333 pixels, Edit Menu/Preferences/General Still Image Default Duration = 180 frames (trying for 6 seconds).  No matter what I set duration for (even tried 360), I still get 3 seconds.

I can do a Time Stretch to 6 seconds but the next photo reverts to 3 seconds.  I deleted 14.0 Folder Prefs file and started a new project and still only get 3 seconds even with 150 duration.  I have had 5 or 6 prev versions of PRE elements and just upgraded from 13 and never had this problem.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti with a driver update of 8/7/15.  Should I turn off Use Hardware Acceleration?

Thanks.

Bill

• 3. Re: Still Image Duration
              Bill McMurry Level 1

I think I figured it out.  I guess because my video project is set to 1080 60p, I have to set duration to 360 to get 6 seconds because video is 60 frames per second.  At least that seems to work after deleting the Prefs file.  This didn't work the first time but it did after deleting the Prefs file.

• 4. Re: Still Image Duration
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill McMurry

I was about to post comments but deleted them when I saw that you found your own answer in the details.

The Still Image Default Duration preferences represents that for the default project preset which includes 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

So, in that case 150 frames = 5 seconds and 180 frames = 6 seconds.

When you use a project preset that includes 59.94 progressive frames per second, 150 frames = about 3 seconds and 360 frames = 6 seconds.

You may have been dealing with 2 issues, problem with the setting file and overlook of the 60 frames per second factor in the duration outcome.

Major - you found and identified your issue and are moving forward in your video projects. Great job.

Thanks for posting the outcome.

Best wishes

ATR